EVERY DAY, TheJournal.ie brings you nine things you need to know with your morning cup of coffee.
1. #PRIORY HALL Residents of Priory Hall are taking part in a ‘March for Justice’ today to mark one year since their eviction from the north Dublin apartments because of safety concerns. Environment Minister Phil Hogan has said he’ll meet the residents – once the resolution process has been completed. Today’s march will go from Donaghmede Shopping Centre to Priory Hall.
2. #CARDINAL BRADY Cardinal Seán Brady is set to be replaced before Christmas, according to a front page report in today’s Irish Independent. Garry O’Sullivan reports from Rome that the Vatican is likely to replace him with an Irish bishop who’s currently based abroad.
3. #MISSING A 16-year-old girl has been missing from Naas in Co.Kildare since Tuesday. Gardaí are appealing for the public’s help in locating Bernadette O’Connor, reports RTÉ.
4. #PARAMEDIC The Irish Examiner reports this morning that the HSE is investigating after a paramedic fell asleep and crashed an ambulance after working a 22-hour shift. Neither the driver nor the passenger were seriously injured in the incident, which occurred at 6am yesterday morning. However one of four ambulance serving the region in West Cork is now off the road for good.
5. #ER… COYBIG? Did you watch the match last night? The 6-1 defeat to Germany at the Aviva Stadium was hard to stomach, but Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has said that he’s proud of the players and that he has no intention of leaving. He said the team will bounce back from the humiliating defeat.
6. #PUPPIES In case you missed it yesterday a further 56 puppies have been taken into care by the DSPCA after a van was stopped and searched at Dublin Port yesterday evening. It was the second puppy rescue of the week. On Monday, up to 50 young puppies were discovered in two cars in Coolock.
7. #OBAMA A shot was fired at a campaign office for US president Barack Obama in Colorado yesterday. Nobody was injured in the incident, although there were a number of staff members inside the office at the time.
8. #PPI RTÉ Radio One was named Station of the Year at the 2012 PPI radio awards in Kilkenny last night. There were wins too for Ian Dempsey’s TodayFM breakfast show, Morning Ireland and Liveline. WLRFM was named Local Radio Station of the Year.
9. #CONAN US TV host Conan O’Brien is still in Dublin by the looks of things, and he’s accepted an honorary patronage from Trinity College Dublin’s Philosophical Society with a highly entertaining speech. He likened The Phil’s Facebook and Tumblr accounts to “the fall of Rome”, but all in good spirits.