EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you nine things you need to know with your morning cup of coffee.
1. #BANKING INQUIRY: An Oireachtas Committee that will investigate the banking collapse will have automatic powers to compel witnesses to appear before it.
2. #GARDA: Martin Callinan, the Garda Commissioner will face tough questions at an Oireachtas committee today over the penalty points cancellation row.
3. #FUNERAL: The funeral of Tom O’Gorman will be held tomorrow.
4. #MORTGAGES: Debt in the sub-prime mortgage sector amounts to €1.9 billion, the Minister for Finance Michael Noonan confirmed.
5. #RACING: The Irish Independent reports that Irish and UK bookmakers have been hit by a loss of an estimated €2.5 million following wins by four horses with links to trainer Barney Curley yesterday.
6. #JOBS: Pharmaceutical company, Aspen, has announced 42 new tech jobs for Dublin.
7. #BAILOUT: Following in our footsteps, Spain has exited from its bailout programme.
8. #BONO: U2′s frontman will join Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Minister for Finance Michael Noonan for dinner tonight at the World Economic Forum in Davos this evening.
9. #UKRAINE: Opposition leaders in Ukraine have issued an ultimatum to President Viktor Yanukovych as violence in the country escalates.