EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you nine things you need to know before 9am…
1. #WHITE HOUSE: Taoiseach Enda Kenny will sit down with US president Barack Obama in the Oval Office today for private bilateral talks. The meeting comes after Kenny yesterday urged financiers at the New York Stock Exchange to “invest in Ireland’s recovery”.
2. #VATICAN: A Holy See report on the Catholic Church’s response to the clerical child abuse scandal in Ireland is due to be published today. The document will be the Church’s first detailed response to revelations of a cover-up in the Murphy and Ryan reports.
3. #BODY FIND: The body of a 62-year-old man lay undiscovered in his Wexford home for three months before being found last night. Passers-by alerted gardaí after noticing a Christmas tree with its lights still on in the home’s window.
4. #SCHOOL SHOOTING: A huge manhunt is under way in southern France this morning after three children and one adult were shot dead outside a Jewish school in Toulouse yesterday. Authorities have linked the attack to the killings of three soldiers last week.
5. #GARDA: Tributes have been paid to a garda sergeant who was killed in a single-vehicle crash in Wicklow yesterday, apparently on his way home from work. The Irish Independent reports that colleagues called Sgt Fergal McHugh, 49, “a great man and a great guard”.
6. #JIM STYNES: Former Aussie Rules and GAA star Jim Stynes has died at the age of 45 after a long battle with cancer. Stynes’ wife Sam said he was surrounded by family and friends in his final days.
7. #IPAD 3: More than three million of the new iPad 3 have been sold since it went on sale in the US, UK and other countries last Friday, Apple has said. The latest version of the tablet goes on sale in Ireland this Friday.
8. #CRIME: Businesses are experiencing a sharp increase in crime through the recession, according to the Small Firms Association. One third said they had been victims of crime over the past two years.
9. #COREGASM: Good news for some this morning… Researchers have confirmed that some women experience orgasms caused only by working out in the gym. The phenomenon has been nicknamed the ‘coregasm’ as it appears to be associated with exercising ‘core’ abdominal muscles, LiveScience reports.