EVERY DAY, TheJournal.ie brings you a round-up of all the day’s main news as well as the bits and pieces that you may have missed.
- A Working Abroad Expo became so busy today that organisers had to shut the doors at the RDS early and limit entry to those who had pre-paid.
- Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin has said that he believes securing a better deal on Ireland’s debt would improve the “background atmosphere” as people head to the polls to vote on the EU fiscal compact treaty.
- Two separate polls published today show a clear margin of voters in favour of the treaty, which will be put to a referendum in the coming months.
- Priory Hall residents are less than happy after reading developer Tom McFeely’s claims that he has been victimised by authorities.
- Vladimir Putin has unsurprisingly won Russia’s presidential election today, according to exit polls. However, Opposition members have cried foul, saying they observed a number of violations as millions headed to voting stations.
- In other election news: as we head toward Super Tuesday, Mitt Romney has extended his lead in the Republican party nomination race with a victory in Washington.
- Ireland’s rugby team had to be satisfied with a share of the spoils today after an exciting 17-17 Six Nations finish in Paris today. TheScore.ie has the report, the reaction and the ratings.
Timelapse videos are quite the trend these days but here at TheJournal.ie we were seriously impressed with this beautiful collaborative effort by Sheldon Neill and Colin Delehanty in Yosemite.
- It has emerged that the captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia was not wearing his glasses on the night of the accident. Oh.
- There was still plenty of talk about Fianna Fáil’s Ard Fheis today as Micheál Martin explained what the party was actually apologising for. We also took a look behind the scenes with photographers Laura Hutton and Niall Carson.
- All the questions you may or may not have had about GM crops are answered in today’s explainer.
- Have you seen Harry Style’s attempts at an Irish accent? (Yes, he’s the curly haired one from One Direction)
- Google has now been doodling for 14 years.
- Jillian Godsil has been telling us why she couldn’t stop thinking about what was in Michael Fassbender’s pants when she met the Hollywood actor recently.
- Our Michael Freeman has handpicked seven other deadly reads from the Internet for your enjoyment on this Sunday evening.
- Do you remember Saved by the Bell? Do you remember the audience being this inappropriate?