EVERY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you our essential run-down of the day’s big stories – plus any bits and pieces you may have missed…
- In a high-profile press conference, Eamon Ó Cuív has confirmed he will NOT be resigning from Fianna Fáil over his opposition to the Fiscal Treaty and pledged to make no further comment on the matter to the media. He told RTÉ’s Six One News that different points of view were the “lifeblood” of any political party.
- We’ve also published the full text of the letter Ó Cuív received from party whip Seán Ó Fearghaíl which warned that he risked “undermining” the party’s campaign.
- Meanwhile, Enda Kenny has warned that rejecting the Fiscal Treaty and adopting alternatives proposed by Sinn Féin would deliver a “lethal injection” to the Irish economy.
- And Herman van Rompuy has confirmed a “growth summit” of EU leaders just days ahead of the Irish referendum.
And in the rest of the day’s news…
- NAMA has unveiled details of a new mortgage programme designed to boost the housing market by protecting buyers from negative equity. The scheme will see potential buyers insulated from a drop of up to 20 per cent in their home’s value.
- RTÉ has promised internal reforms following a “robust” meeting with communications minister Pat Rabbitte over the Mission to Prey programme. However, there will be no resignations from its board.
- Did you catch the Mexican presidential debate? If so, you’ll already understand why it was overshadowed by a production assistant’s dress…
A rust-encrusted Harley-Davidson that washed up on an island off Canada last week after being swept away in the Japanese tsunami more than a year previously (AP Photo/CBC-Peter Mark, The Canadian Press)
- Teenagers who smoke cannabis risk causing physical changes to parts of their brain associated with schizophrenia, new Irish research has shown.
- Got €6.5million to spare? You might want to check out this Dublin mansion complete with indoor swimming pool, golf course… and wolfhound, judging by these pictures.
- A hair-raising video has emerged showing a high-speed garda pursuit with a difference – the vehicles being chased are horse-drawn traps.
- Emirates has introduced a larger aircraft on its Dublin-Dubai route to cope with increased demand, two months ahead of schedule.
- Are you a Facebook addict? These simple questions ought to give you an idea.
- A new movie starring Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn has changed its name after the controversy over the killing of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.
- And finally: I think we can unanimously commend the wisdom of this child’s reaction to a giant robot dinosaur.