EVERY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you our essential roundup of the day’s big stories – plus any bits and pieces you may have missed…
- Finance minister Michael Noonan has said rejecting the Fiscal Treaty would be ‘dangerous’ for Ireland. For all the day’s developments, you can check out our Referendum Roundup in an hour’s time.
- A man in his 70s has been killed after his car went off the road and hit a ditch in Tipperary this afternoon.
- Dozens of businesses in Clones, Co Monaghan are now accepting the old Irish punt in an attempt to boost the local economy. Customers get their change in euro vouchers.
- There’s gold in them thar hills! The Wicklow hills, that is.
- Tom Savage, the chair of the RTÉ board, today faced criticism from TDs over the Mission to Prey controversy – and was told: “Your position is untenable.”
- Irish boxer Katie Taylor has qualified for the London Olympics. She called it “a dream come true.”
- A large aquatic visitor has been making the rounds of Dun Laoghaire – a huge basking shark.
- Kenny Dalglish has been sacked as manager of Liverpool FC. So over at TheScore.ie we’ve been asking: who’s the man to take the job?
Students fire a home-made weapon towards riot police in Bogota, Colombia as they protest against a free trade agreement with the US (AP Photo/William Fernando Martinez)
- The last of the machinery has been shipped out of the Oatfield sweet factory in Letterkenny, Co Donegal – once home to Emerald caramels and Chocolate Orange boiled sweets. Here are the photos.
- In the wake of a new study on young people’s mental health, 23-year-old Tim Smyth has written for TheJournal.ie about some of the most pressing issues facing today’s youth.
- Footwear firm Skechers has been ordered to pay $40million for making false claims that its shoes would help tone your muscles.
- How’s your European history? This extremely dramatic timelapse map will take you through the last 1,000 years or so…
- The Occupy Galway camp has been demolished. Photographer Patrick Dinneen captured its final days.
- And finally: this is how not to move off from a traffic light when you’re driving a $200,000 Lamborghini.