National Ploughing Championships 2012 Day 2. People shelter from the rain in a trailer for sale on the second day of National Ploughing Championships in Co Wexford. (Photo: Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland)
THINGS WE LEARNED
#RESIGNATION: Roisin Shorthall has resigned as Primary Care Minister.
#PHIL HOGAN: Does not like difficult questions. The environment minister hung up on a local radio station presenter who sought to question his decision to intervene in a local housing allocation for a traveller family. Here are three other people who also hung up on the interviewer.
#STRIKE: Dublin Airport workers are planning on strike action this Monday, despite Transport Minister Leo Varadkar calling on everyone involved to resolve their dispute.
#GANGNAM STYLE: It turns out that the pudgy Korean man’s obsession with “sexy lady” we’ve all been laughing about is actually a satirical swipe at Gangnam, a somewhat swanky district in Seoul. So says our resident South Korean expert, Hayley Millar.
#BRAIN TEASERS: How do you weigh your head? One of the brain teasers that would be employees have to answer before working at Google, according to a new book, ‘Are You Smart Enough to Work at Google‘.
THINGS WE LOVED
Christina Chan (12) from the Chinese Irish Cultural Academy is pictured in traditional dress at an event marking the 63rd Anniversary of the Founding of the People’s Republic of China today at the Clyde Court Hotel in Dublin. (Photo: Mark Stedman/Photocall Ireland)
- From ‘Geese Witherspoon’ to ‘Crow J Simpson’, stick the head of your favourite celebrity on a bird in our tumblr of the day.
- Summon your inner greedy kid and gorge on a makey-uppy play doh feast, here are 10 movie dinners you wish you could crash.
- And while we are on the subject of movies, here are some little known facts about ‘The Princess Bride’ on its 25th anniversary.
- A lucky 12-year-old boy got his first kiss in front of thousands of people, after American country singer Carrie Underwood spotted his “Will you be my first kiss” sign. Pulling him up on stage, she asked ”How are we going to do this?” His response? “Lip to lip.”
THINGS WE SHARED
- Lead singer of The Walls Steve Wall lashed out at Arthur’s Day as a “cynical exercise in pulling the wool over Paddy’s eyes” in a series of Facebook posts. “Paint the town black? My town is already black with unemployment, shootings, depression, lack of paying gigs and a lack of Irish artists on daytime radio. No thanks Diageo…go paint your own town black. We need some light.”
- Leo Traynor tells how online bullying escalated to grim offline intimidation by a troll – and an emotional personal encounter.
- Bigger screen, even lighter and better battery life, here are a few pros and cons of the latest Apple smartphone. Just don’t go smashing it in front of people queueing for hours to get their hands on one. Don’t worry, the phones are fake. The reactions are not.