Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa which went green for St Patrick’s Day. Picture: Tourism Ireland/Twitter
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps…
THINGS WE LEARNED
- Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin plans to ask Taoiseach Enda Kenny to reopen a module of the Moriarty Tribunal next week in light of new allegations about a payment made by Michael Lowry but Kenny, speaking in New York today, has already ruled this out.
- Three men have been arrested following the stabbing of a 17-year-old boy in Westport, Co Mayo last night. The boy is seriously injured in hospital.
- St Patrick’s Day celebrations brought thousands out onto the streets of Dublin and towns and cities across the country today. Here are the best pictures from the day’s events.
- Cyprus may go as far as calling an extra bank holiday to stop people from taking their money out of the banks in the wake of a controversial bailout deal which will see some savers lose a tenth of their money.
- The weather was rubbish all week and it will continue to be rubbish and cold next week unfortunately.
- While Ireland’s rugby men failed miserably the women triumphed gloriously sealing a Six Nations Grand Slam with a 6-3 win over Italy today. The President was among those to send his congratulations to the Irish women.
THINGS WE LOVED
- Our favourite astronaut, Commander Chris Hadfield, wearing a green bowtie and playing Danny Boy in space.
- These 13 things we didn’t know about St Patrick’s Day.
- Paddy’s Day in Lego form:
‘Pot of Gold!’
THINGS WE SHARED
- This brilliant collection from Buzzfeed of famous gun scenes from movies replaced with thumbs-up.
- This fascinating revelation that Ireland’s national colour isn’t really green.
- This lovely bit of milk bottle nostalgia.
- And finally we’re a bit late to this but Beyoncé performing her hit song ‘Single Ladies’ with Justin Timberlake is worth a watch:
- Watching The Voice of Ireland? Follow events as they happen with DailyEdge.ie’s liveblog