Ex Gunner Alan O’Farrell and the 2nd Artillery regiment mascot during the annual remembrance ceremony at the National War Memorial Gardens in Dublin. The Royal British Legion Ireland event commemorates the involvement of nearly half a million from the island of Ireland who served during the First World War, 50,000 of whom were killed. Pic: Niall Carson/PA Wire
THESE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#ROAD DEATHS A tragic collision in Devon has resulted in the death of a two-year-old Irish toddler, whose parents remain in a critical condition in hospital. The child’s mother has also lost her unborn baby. A Polish man has also died of his injuries.
#RESIGNATION Councillor Therese Ridge told TheJournal.ie that she was hurt and saddened after her resignation from Fine Gael in the wake of disciplinary proceedings against her. She also criticised some of her former party colleagues for failing to support her.
#AIB An AIB source has said that reports today that 90 branches are for the job is ‘total speculation’. There will be branch closures as a result of cost-cutting measures, but AIB has not made any figures public.
#ULSTER BANK Junior finance minister Brian Hayes has said that Ulster Bank’s handling of the IT fiasco has been “appalling” and has said that the Financial Regulator should consider imposing fines. Here’s how you’ve been dealing with the crisis so far.
#BULL RUNNING Six people have been injured in the annual bull run in the northern Spanish city of Pamplona. Thousands of dare devils fled half-tonne bulls thundering through Pamplona’s streets.
#PROJECTXCAVAN Gardaí were among the attendees of a party in Cavan last night which went viral on social media, but the event passed without incident. Hundreds showed up to the party in Lavey, and you can see the pictures here.
THINGS WE LOVED
- Love them or hate them, this is probably the worst Crocs*-related picture we’ve ever seen. (*The shoe, not the watery beast)
- We loved the story of the man in the US who paid off the last of his mortgage with pennies – 69,000 of them.
Major Michael Kearney MBE pictured at the Islandbridge War Memorial to those Irish Soldiers who died in the first and second world wars. Pic: Photocall Ireland
THINGS WE SHARED
- If you’re reading Fifty Shades of Grey and have put it down for a minute to have a look at the Evening Fix, you might be interested to see what one academic has done to create the first character image of the character Christian Grey. Is he how you imagined him to be?
- Amanda Brunker took to Twitter today to share the memory of her ‘performance’ at Oxegen last year which might have been the event that the phrase ‘don’t give up your day job’ was invented for.
- You’ve seen the ‘Cooking with Michael Fassbender’ video right? Well now there’s a new one. It’s Michael Fassbender… gardening. (It’s not really Michael Fassbender, but we love it nonetheless).
Video uploaded by ButlerDidIt24