Four-year-old Adam O’Donoghue reacts as the Trinity orchestra plays in the background at a press tour of the Electric Picnic festival site today. (Photo: Niall Carson/PA)
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#TARGET: Workers at a Target Express plant in Cork have launched a sit-in protest as the freight company ceases trading. The Revenue Commissioners would not comment specifically on the case, but said that in general, cases are referred for enforcement if a business or individual has failed to comply with the obligation to pay tax that is due.
#RACHEL CORRIE: An Israeli court has ruled that the state of Israel is not responsible for the death of American pro-Palestinian protester Rachel Corrie, who was killed by an army bulldozer while trying to prevent the forceddemolition of a house on the Gaza strip in 2003.
#VACCINATIONS: Over 200 children and teenagers require repeat vaccinations after the HSE determined that childhood vaccines administered by one GP in the Dublin area may not have been effectively administered.
#ISAAC: Tropical Storm Isaac has been upgraded to hurricane force as it nears the Gulf Coast of America. It is expected to make landfall near New Orleans, which was devastated by Hurricane Katrina seven years ago, later today.
#BACK TO SCHOOL: Problems at Schoolbooks.ie continue this evening despite the company saying this morning that it had cleared its order backlog. Frustrated parents have contacted TheJournal.ie to say they still haven’t gotten books they ordered a month ago.
THINGS WE LOVED
- Brothers four-and-a-half-year-old Liam and Adam, 3, Fay from Skryne, Co Meath pictured above playing today in Phoenix Park at the launch of Hotpoint’s and Barnardos’ free laundry service for families camping at the Electric Picnic this weekend. (Photo: Mark Stedman/Photocall)
- NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity has sent back the first ever high-res colour photo of another planet. Check it out.
- If you’ve ever had trouble separating eggs, or have held off making meringues due to egg-separation-anxiety, then you need to see this really, really simple ‘how to’ video. Why didn’t we think of this sooner?!:
THINGS WE SHARED
- One young tennis fan was surprised to find his impromptu marriage proposal to Novak Djokovic result in a US Open practice with the Serbian star.
- The morning after London was announced as the host city for the 2012 Olympic Games, Martine Wright was seriously injured in the 7/7 bombings and lost both of her legs. The Guardian outlines Wright’s journey from that day to competing in the Paralympic Games 2012.
- BoingBoing has unearthed this incredible footage of Neil Armstrong’s near-death experience while training in a lunar landing vehicle ahead of the Apollo 11 mission: