TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 2 °C Friday 24 November, 2017
Advertisement

Las Ramblas victims: A father with his family, a husband on his honeymoon

Over 30 different nationalities were killed or injured in the two attacks, according to various sources

Spain Attacks People gather at a memorial tribute of flowers, messages and candles to the victims on Barcelona's historic Las Ramblas promenade tonight. Source: Manu Fernandez via PA Images

THE VEHICLE ATTACKS in Spain that left 14 dead and over 100 more injured in a bustling tourist area of Barcelona and the nearby seaside resort of Cambrils affected people of some three dozen nationalities.

The dead and injured came from countries as varied as France, Venezuela, Australia, Ireland, Peru, Algeria and China.

Over 24 hours since the attack, information on those who have been killed and injured in the attacks is coming forward – with US, Italian and Belgian citizens among the dead.

Jared Tucker from Northern California who was spending his first wedding anniversary in Barcelona was among those killed, his family have confirmed.

Jared Tucker’s sister, Tina Luke, told the Associated Press that Tucker, aged 42, and his wife Heidi Nunes-Tucker were celebrating their honeymoon in Barcelona after saving up for the trip.

“We just got the text – Jared’s body was identified at the morgue by his wife,” Daniel Tucker told the Daily News of New York. “It’s just something we really just don’t understand. I don’t know what else to say.”

Italy confirmed that two of their citizens were among those killed on Las Ramblas.

One was named by computer company Tom’s Hardware as its employee Bruno Gulotta, who worked in sales and marketing.

The 35-year-old had been on holiday in Barcelona with his wife and their two young children, the company announced, saying they were in mourning for their “friend and colleague”.

Italian media reported that Gulotta had been holding five-year-old son Alessandro’s hand just before he was hit by the van. His wife Martina had one-year-old daughter Aria in a baby carrier and managed to pull her son out of the way too.

A woman from Tongres in eastern Belgium, visiting Barcelona with her family, was killed, the Belgian foreign minister said; the first confirmed death after the attack.

A 74-year-old Portuguese woman was among the dead, according to government officials.

Local Spanish media are also reporting that a three-year-old girl was also killed.

The injured

It was also confirmed that an Irish family, the parents of which were from the Philippines, was among those caught up in the Las Ramblas attack.

Emmanuel Fernandez, the Consul General of the Philippines Embassy in Madrid, told Spanish radio that two of the family had been injured.

The father, he said, was injured “but okay”, but the five-year-old son is more seriously hurt, and may need an operation.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said in a televised address that “a number of British nationals were caught up in the attack,” but provided no other details on the number of wounded.

She also mentioned that authorities “are urgently looking into reports of a child believed missing, who is a British dual national”.

Tony Cadman posted a picture of his grandson Tony Cadman to Facebook, saying that he was missing. The boy’s mother was found in hospital.

original Source: Facebook

Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said 28 French nationals had been injured, with eight of them in a serious condition.

Germany’s foreign ministry spokesman Martin Schaefer said 13 Germans were injured in the Barcelona attack, and that some of them were “fighting for their lives”.

He said he could also not rule out that there may be Germans among the dead.

Three Dutch people were wounded, all of whom are out of danger, the government said.

There are two Belgians among the wounded, one in a serious condition, according to Foreign Minister Didier Reynders.

Romania said there were three wounded: two men aged 33 and 42 who are in a stable condition in hospital, and another who suffered only minor injuries.

Three Australian nationals were wounded, their government confirmed.

Two Greek children were wounded along with their mother, who has German nationality. The father was unhurt but is in shock, Greek officials said.

Three Moroccans were injured in the attack, including a six-year-old child who is in a “critical condition”, the foreign ministry said.

Four Cubans were injured in Barcelona, and another lightly hurt in the second attack in the resort town of Cambrils, according to the official Cubadebate website.

One person each from Hungary, Macedonia, Austria and Turkey was injured.

Two Taiwanese people were wounded as well as one person from Hong Kong.

Catalan authorities said people with Algerian, Argentinian, Canadian, Chinese, Colombian, Dominican, Ecuadorean, Egyptian, Philippine, Honduran, Kuwaiti, Mauritanian, Pakistani, Peruvian, and Venezuelan nationality were also among the victims.

- With reporting from Gráinne Ní Aodha

© AFP 2017

Read: Spain terror latest: 14 dead across two attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils

Read: Spain terror attacks: A timeline of events

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (66)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel

Trending Tags