WANT TO KNOW what’s going on in Leinster House today?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committe rooms today…
Three things we’ll be keeping an eye on:
- It’s Tuesday, it’s question time, so that means one thing: Leaders’ Questions. The Taoiseach will be dealing with the big issues of the day from 3.15pm. Expect to hear lots about the bugging of the Garda Ombudsman office.
- Attention people who like their tan: the second stage of the Public Health (Sunbeds) Bill 2013 which is looking to ban people under 18 from using sunbeds will be heard in the Dáil this evening before 7.30pm.
- There’ll be some tough questioning in store when Irish Water head honcho John Tierney appears before the Environment, Culture and the Gaeltacht Committee at 2.15pm to talk about customer issues. Hopefully he doesn’t turn on the waterworks (sorry) if it get too difficult.
Everything else happening in the Dáil:
- Things will kick off at 2pm when Minister for Agriculture Simon Coveney will be answering questions on all things agricultural.
- Not content with Leaders’ Questions, the Taoiseach will be answering questions in his guise as er, Taoiseach at 3.36pm.
- From 4.46pm onwards, the Dáil will be dealing with Topical Issues, the final stages of the Fines (Payment and Recovery Bill) 2013, and the aforementioned legislation on sunbeds.
- Fianna Fáil is putting forward a motion on childcare under Private Members Business at 7.30pm which would call for a radical change to how childcare is organised in Ireland.
- The Dáil adjourns at 9pm.
Everything happening in the Seanad :
- Order of Business gets under way at 2.30pm with a motion on the European Small Claims Procedure.
- At 3.45pm the Seanad will hear statements on public sector reform with Brendan Howlin in attendance.
- From 6pm the Seanad will discuss the remaining stages of the Road Traffic (No. 2) Bill 2013.
Everything else happening in the committees:
- The Agriculture, Food and the Marine Committee will meet at 3pm to talk about EU legislative proposals and the Forestry Bill 2013, with representatives from the Society of Irish Foresters weighing in. [Committee Room 3]
- The Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation Committee will be talking about how businesses can protect their trade secrets and about crowdfunding as a model for financing. [Committee Room 2]
- Last but not least, the Health and Children Committee will be discussing neurological health issues with medical professionals in Committee Room 2 from 5.15pm.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a bill become a law? >