This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 0 °C Sunday 17 November, 2019
Advertisement

Taoiseach says derelict house where Ana Kriegel was murdered should be demolished

The property is currently a protected structure.

kriegal scene 956_90572815 Glenwood House, Lucan Source: Rollingnews.ie

TAOISEACH LEO VARADKAR has said protection status should be removed from the building in which Ana Kriegel was murdered last year. 

Glenwood House, built around 1800, fell into a state of disrepair in recent years but cannot be demolished as it remains on the record of protected structures (RPS)  

Speaking to reporters today, Varadkar said the vacant farmhouse near Lucan should be knocked down as “it’s very hard to pass that building without thinking of what happened there.” 

“It’s not in my view a building of enormous architectural merit and I would like to see the designation lifted by the council as well and to have that building demolished, absolutely,” he said. 

Buildings listed on the council’s RPS are given special status. If an owner plans to alter a structure it must go through the council’s planning process.

The property is currently owned by Sherborough Properties who purchased the site in the early 2000s. 

According to Fingal County Council, works at Glenwood House have commenced under the Derelict Sites Act/Sanitary Services Act. 

“Officials from Fingal County Council held an on-site meeting with the owners this week. In addition to the works to secure the site, an interim protection plan consisting of stabilisation and protection works to the historic buildings to prevent further decay have also been agreed with the Council. It is expected that this work will also advance shortly,” a council spokesperson said. 

The two boys convicted of the murder of 14-year-old Ana were sentenced at the Central Criminal Court.

Boy A was sentenced to a term of life on the first count of murder and will serve an initial 12 years, followed by a review. Boy B is to serve a term of 15 years, with the sentence to be reviewed after 8 years. 

- With reporting from Christina Finn 

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Adam Daly

Read next:

COMMENTS