Skip to content
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Image: AP

At least 27 people killed by car bomb in Ankara

Turkey has been hit by a spate of deadly attacks since the middle of last year.
Mar 13th 2016, 6:40 PM 16,201 37

Updated: 6.40pm

AT LEAST 27 PEOPLE have been killed by a car bomb in central Ankara, the provincial governor’s office has said.

A further 75 people were wounded.

“The blast was caused by a vehicle packed with explosives close to Kizilay square,” an official statement said. The square is a key commercial and transport hub close to the city’s embassy area.

The incident comes just weeks after 29 people were killed in a suicide car bomb attack targeting the military in Ankara on 17 February that was claimed by a Kurdish militant group.

The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK) said it carried out the February bombing as revenge for operations by the Turkish military in the southeast of the country and warned foreign tourists not to visit Turkey.

Turkish security forces have been waging a major offensive against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) since December, imposing strict 24-hour curfews in a number of towns and cities in the southeast.

Sunday’s blast came as the authorities hit two more towns in the Kurdish-dominated southeast with curfews.

Turkey has been hit by a spate of deadly attacks since the middle of last year, most of them blamed on the Islamic State group.

In the deadliest bombing ever on Turkish soil, 103 people were killed and more than 500 wounded in twin suicide bombings targeting a pro-Kurdish peace rally in Ankara in October last year.

© AFP 2016

Read: At least five people killed in Ivory Coast resort attack

Send a tip to the author

AFP

COMMENTS (37)

    Back to top