Skip to content
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change your settings or learn more here.
Image: PSNI

Second man arrested in connection with 1993 murder released unconditionally

Joseph Reynolds was shot when his van was ambushed in 1993.
Oct 17th 2013, 4:41 PM 5,792 24

Updated 20.27

A SECOND MAN arrested in connection with the murder of a man 20 years ago in East Belfast has been released unconditionally.

Detectives from Serious Crime Branch investigating the murder of Joseph Reynolds arrested a 41-year-old man today, but released him this evening without charge.

On Tuesday, a 50-year-old man was arrested as part of the investigation. He was also subsequently released unconditionally, police said.


The PSNI announced last Friday that it had reopened the investigation into the murder of Reynolds, a painter, who was shot in the head as he went to work on 12 October 1993 in a red Nissan van along with seven others.

He was a 40-year-old father of five. It is believed he was ambushed while in the van, when it stopped at a pedestrian crossing to allow two men to cross.

When the two men at the crossing drew level to the van, they opened fire with a handgun and a rifle. At the same time, another man who was in a stolen car which had pulled up behind the van also opened fire.

Three of the other men in the van were also injured and Reynolds subsequently died from his injuries.

The three gunmen ran off down Fraser Street, across the Sydenham by-pass to Ballymacarrett Road where they drove off in a dark blue Vauxhall Astra.

Although number of arrests were made in the original police investigation, no one has ever been charged.

Following a review of the case, information was provided to the Serious Crime Branch which led to the investigation being re-opened.

Read: Police in Belfast re-open ‘chilling’ 20-year-old murder case>

Read: Man arrested over ‘cold case’ murder of father-of-five in 1993>

Send a tip to the author

Aoife Barry


    Back to top