Skip to content
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change your settings or learn more here.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
The scene of last night's fire at Ballast Quay in Co Sligo.
The scene of last night's fire at Ballast Quay in Co Sligo.
Image: Sean Carleton

Investigation continues into whether Sligo fire site contained asbestos

Residents were urged to close their windows following last night’s fire at a commercial unit on Ballast Quay.
Mar 22nd 2013, 9:43 AM 5,561 0

INVESTIGATIONS ARE CONTINUING into whether the roof of a commercial unit which caught fire in Sligo yesterday contained asbestos.

The commercial unit was located on Ballast Quay. A spokesperson from Sligo Fire Brigade told TheJournal.ie that local residents were urged to close their windows as a precautionary measure, following suspicions that its roof contained the harmful material.

Inhalation of asbestos can cause serious health problems including cancer.

Following the 6.30pm call-out, the scene was attended by three units of the fire brigade, in addition to a hydraulic platform and water tanker.

Read: Community pulls together to get local woman back in her home after fire >

Send a tip to the author

Paul Hyland

COMMENTS

    Back to top