Skip to content
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change your settings or learn more here.
OK
A broken door lies open after a police raid on the house of the Oukabir family where Driss Oukabir and Moussa Oukabir, two possible suspects lived in Ripoll, north of Barcelona, Spain.
A broken door lies open after a police raid on the house of the Oukabir family where Driss Oukabir and Moussa Oukabir, two possible suspects lived in Ripoll, north of Barcelona, Spain.
Image: Francisco Seco/PA

'I hope he is innocent': Father of suspected Spain terror attacker speaks out

One of his sons was shot dead during the Cambrils attack.
Aug 20th 2017, 11:10 AM 24,379 69

Updated at 12.44pm

THE FATHER OF two of the suspected Spanish terror attackers has said he hopes his son who is still alive is innocent.

Said Oukabir broke down in tears as he described how his boys were two normal people and that he had no idea they were radicalised.

His 17-year-old son Moussa – was one of the five suspects shot dead in Cambrils. His older brother, Driss, counts among the four arrested.

Spanish police said this morning they do not know if the man suspected of driving the van used in a deadly vehicle attack in Barcelona is still in Spain. Some reports suggest he may have fled to France.

More than 120 gas canisters in a house in Alcanar, where suspects were believed to be building bombs for “one or more” attacks in Barcelona.

“We’re under shock, completely devastated,” Oukabir told AFP, saying Moussa had been studying “normally” at school while Driss worked “honestly”.

“I hope they will say he’s innocent… I don’t want to lose my two sons.”

Police said they believed the suspects were planning a much larger attack.

“They were preparing one or several attacks in Barcelona, and an explosion in Alcanar stopped this as they no longer had the material they needed to commit attacks of an even bigger scope,” said Josep Lluis Trapero of Catalonia’s police.

Security forces were seen removing dozens of gas canisters from the house in Alcanar on Friday.

Victims of the attack came from three dozen countries including Algeria, Australia, China, France, Ireland, Peru and Venezuela, reflecting Barcelona’s status as Spain’s most popular tourist destination.

Fifty-four people are still in hospital, including 12 in critical condition, Catalan emergency services said.

© AFP, 2017

Read: Romanian bishop quits over sex video >

Read: Multiple arrests as thousands join anti-racism march in Boston >

Send a tip to the author

AFP

COMMENTS (69)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a comment

     
    cancel reply
    Back to top