This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 13 °C Sunday 21 April, 2019
Advertisement

Bowe Bergdahl receives dishonourable discharge, avoiding prison time after deserting US army post

The US soldier deserted his Afghanistan post only to be held captive by insurgents for five years.

Bowe Bergdahl leaves the Fort Bragg courtroom facility
Bowe Bergdahl leaves the Fort Bragg courtroom facility
Image: Gerry Broome via PA Images

A US MILITARY judge has ruled that Bowe Bergdahl, the US soldier who deserted his Afghanistan post only to be held captive by insurgents for five years, would serve no prison time after a politically charged trial.

The judge ordered Sergeant Bergdahl to be dishonourably discharged, his rank slashed to private, and that he pay a $10,000 fine, the Pentagon said.

During last year’s presidential campaign Donald Trump said he believed Bergdahl should be put to death for abandoning his post in the war zone.

Bergdahl had faced up to life in prison after pleading guilty to charges of desertion and endangering his fellow troops.

Earlier this week, Colonel Jeffery Nance, the judge in the case tried in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, warned that Trump’s repeated comments on the case could “mitigate” the sentencing.

The case inflamed US political divisions over the Afghan war, with supporters calling Bergdahl a victim of the 16-year-old conflict and detractors labelling him a turncoat whose action led to severe injuries of fellow soldiers in his unit on search missions for him.

Prosecutors had demanded harsh punishment, calling on testimony from witnesses injured – including one soldier shot in the head and permanently disabled – while on search missions in eastern Afghanistan after Bergdahl disappeared in 2009.

But his defenders argued that he has already suffered from five years of brutal treatment by the Taliban and the related Haqqani group, before being released in a prisoner exchange for five Taliban fighters in 2014.

© – AFP 2017

Read: We need fines of €1 million for ‘unscrupulous’ landlords, says senior Dublin City Council official

More: Teen arrested after London acid attack leaves fast-food delivery driver fighting for his life

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (41)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel