Skip to content

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Fire crews free boy after he got his hand trapped inside a cinema seat

The boy had been going to see the new Smurfs film with his family.
Apr 19th 2017, 5:48 PM 20,152 18

18033249_1458408084222284_2631584959176401798_n Source: NIFRS West via Facebook

A CHILD IN Derry had to be cut free by fire crews yesterday, after his hand became trapped in a cinema seat.

The young boy had been attending the cinema to see the new Smurfs film with his family, but had managed to get his hand trapped in the seat at the Omniplex in the Quayside Shopping Centre yesterday afternoon.

Crews from Northland and Crescent Links attended the scene, and used a hydraulic cutter, socket sets and screwdrivers to free him.

It is not believed that the boy required hospital treatment afterwards but both he and his mother and father were relieved when he was eventually freed.

17992276_1458408080888951_8268963173890713868_n Source: NIFRS West via Facebook

Read: Aslan pay tribute as keyboardist Patrick ‘Fitzy’ Fitzpatrick dies following battle with cancer

Read: Over 30,000 sign petition to prevent Sisters of Charity becoming owners of maternity hospital

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Send a tip to the author

Sean Murray

COMMENTS (18)

    Back to top