This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: -1 °C Monday 18 November, 2019
Advertisement

The Disappeared: Body found in Meath bog confirmed as that of Brendan Megraw

DNA tests have positively confirmed the IRA victim’s identity.

Family handout
Family handout
Image: http://www.wavetraumacentre.org.uk/uploads/pdf/1401788991--Disappeared-Poster-Brendan-Megraw.pdf

Updated 20.40pm

A BODY FOUND in a Meath bog last month as part of a search for a man ‘disappeared’ by the IRA in 1978 has been confirmed as that of Brendan Megraw.

The Independent Commission for the Location of Victims Remains (ICLVR) had been surveying the bog in Oristown as part of the search for Brendan, who went missing when he was 23 years old.

Contractors were removing drainage at the five-acre site in preparation for excavation work on 1 October when the remains were discovered.

Speaking in the aftermath of the recovery, Brendan’s brother said the news had been a “long time coming”.

A statement from the family said they were “grateful and relieved”. Kieran Megraw said:

He has been alone for nearly 40 years and now we can bring him home and lay him to rest with our mum and dad.
We want to thank all those who have supported us over the years in particular the ICLVR who found Brendan after the disappointment of previous unsuccessful searches.
 
We have also had great support from WAVE and the other families of the Disappeared.
 
Brendan was found because more information came in to refine the search area and we are hugely grateful for whoever provided it.
 
We hope and pray that the suffering of those still waiting for the return of their loved ones will soon be brought to an end”.

Tests have been taking place to formally identify the remains, and in a statement this evening, the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims Remains confirmed it had received the results of DNA examinations.

“The results positively indicate that the remains are those of Brendan Megraw,” a statement from the commissioners said.

Dr Brian Farrell, Coroner for the City of Dublin has accepted this as evidence of identification and will shortly authorise the release of the remains to the family.

“The thoughts of everyone in the Commission are with the Megraw family at this difficult time.”

Megraw was one of 16 people – known as the Disappeared – who were killed and secretly buried by the IRA during the course of the Troubles.

The 23-year-old was kidnapped by the IRA in 1978. His wife was expecting their first baby when the newlywed was abducted from his home.

First published 18.00pm. Additional reporting Christina Finn. 

Read: Search for Disappeared Brendan Megraw to begin in Meath bog today >

Read: Search for Disappeared newlywed Brendan Megraw to begin in Meath bog >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (247)