Skip to content
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal

Charity finishes 35 ghost homes, ending seven-year wait for families

The Athy estate has been finished following an initiative between NAMA and Clúid.
Feb 18th 2014, 3:08 PM 22,563 23

THIRTY FAMILIES WHO have been waiting for over seven years on local authority housing lists are each to take up residence in one of 35 units at a former ghost estate.

The Coneyboro estate in Athy has had parts of the development lying unfinished for a number of years, but a new project from housing charity Clúid and NAMA.

The €2.6 million project sees the unfinished parts of the estate completed.

imageConey Green (Google Maps)

The majority of the houses bought by Clúid were in the unfinished areas of the estate, in particular Coney Green which faced onto a large open space and was the focus of the antisocial behaviour attracted to the estate.

Clúid purchasing the units, enabling NAMA to invest in completing the estate and the estate’s developer was then able to complete outstanding works, including the road and green areas.

Once the estate was completed by the developer, Clúid purchased the properties through NAMA at a cost off €2,625,000, using a government loan of 30% of the total cost to leverage the remaining 70% through private finance.

The two- and three-bedroom homes have been finished to all building standards and it is hoped the effect of finishing the estate is seen across the community.

imageConeyboro (Google Maps)

According to Clúid’s Spokesperson, Fiona Cormican, the key to the success of the project was the collaboration of those who shared a vision for a better future.

“This was very much a partnership project from the beginning and I would like to acknowledge Athy Town Council, Kildare County Council and NAMA for their efforts in taking 35 households off the housing waiting list and for improving the entire estate for all the residents.”

Cathaoirleach of Athy Town Council Thomas Redmond is a resident of the estate and says result has boosted the community.

“My community is so enriched and, as the Chairman of the council and resident of this fine estate, I want to sincerely say a big thank you to Clúid Housing.”

Read: Housing applications and commencements fell nationally in 2013

Read: Councils get ten million euro to spend on ghost estates

Send a tip to the author

Paul Hosford


    Back to top