Skip to content

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

An issue of the magazine issued in August 2014
An issue of the magazine issued in August 2014
Image: Charlie Hebdo

Man jailed for threatening shop selling Charlie Hebdo magazine

The threatening phone calls were made in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo shooting in January.
Nov 10th 2015, 7:01 PM 11,308 25

A MAN IN the UK has been given a prison sentence after threatening staff at a bookshop.

Shamim Ahmed will be serving 20 weeks in jail for threatening to damage a bookshop in London.

Sentenced yesterday, the 22-year-old has also been hit with a suspended two-year sentence, a 300-hour community order, an indefinite restraining order on any contact with the bookshop in question, and an order to pay compensation and costs.

What did he do?

In January 2015, in the wake of the attack in France that saw 12 people killed, Ahmed contacted the bookshop threatening to damage it if the magazine was sold.

The shop immediately informed the police and the case was turned over to a specialised counter terrorism command that set about finding the man responsible.

On 29 January, a search was carried out at the home of Ahmed, where a number of items were seized.

Evidence from his phone was used to support the allegation that he had made the phone calls to the shop and had also sent a threatening email.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Appearing before the Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 12 October, he pleaded guilty on two counts of malicious communications.

Freedom of speech

Speaking about successfully catching the man responsible, commander Richard Walton from the Metropolitan Police Service Counter Terrorism Command, said:

We must remember the dreadful terrorist attack in Paris just days before and should not underestimate the fear that was felt by those that received these emails and phone calls. This was an attempt to intimidate and curtail the right to freedom of speech.

Read: Man arrested over double stabbing at home of Wu-Tang rapper RZA

Also: 87-year-old woman punched in the face by teenagers on London bus

Send a tip to the author

Michael Sheils McNamee


    Back to top