Skip to content
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Image: Eamonn Farrell/RollingNews.ie

Search operation continues for missing fisherman in west Cork

The man was reported missing shortly after 8.30pm yesterday evening.
Oct 10th 2019, 10:33 AM 13,146 0

A SEARCH OPERATION is underway in Cork after a fisherman failed to return to port yesterday evening. 

The man was reported missing shortly after 8.30pm on Wednesday evening in Dunmanus Bay, West Cork. 

The search, which is being coordinated by the Valentia Coast Guard, resumed this morning. 

John Draper, the Division Controller at the Valentia Coastguard Station centre, told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland programme that vessels had been out from early this morning. 

However, he said that he was concerned that conditions would get worse. 

“The lifeboat and the fishing vessels are able to conduct searches well enough at the moment but conditions are likely disimprove later on in the later morning and afternoon,” he said. 

Searches have been carried out by the Shannon and Waterford Coast Guard helicopters, as well as the RNLI and the naval ship the LÉ WB Yeats. 

Local fishing vessels are also involved in the search. 

Send a tip to the author

Dominic McGrath

COMMENTS

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a comment

     
    cancel reply
    Back to top