Advertisement
This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 22 °C Wednesday 12 August, 2020

#Dissident Republicans

# dissident-republicans - Thursday 12 August, 2010

NORTHERN IRELAND’S Deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness, has said that dissident republican terrorists have spoken to both the British and Irish governments in recent weeks.

McGuinness told BBC Radio Ulster’s Talkback programme that London authorities had held negotiations with republican splinter groups in recent weeks, while Dublin had secretly met such groups for years.

McGuinness, who himself negotiated on behalf of the IRA during the prime ministry of Margaret Thatcher which ultimately led to the 1994 ceasefire, said:

They may well deny that – [but] that doesn’t concern me in the least. I know it’s happening.

I think we have to understand that there are number of tiny, micro-groups out there. These groups are a volatile concoction and are ideologically opposed to the peace process.

The Continuity IRA has ruled out the prospect of dialogue with the British government or the Sinn Féin leadership, though the Irish government was known to have met with Real IRA representatives after the 1998 Omagh Bombing.

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman said the had “never been our practice” to negotiate with paramilitary groups, while the Northern Irish Secretary of State, Owen Paterson, has denied claims that London was seeking to negotiate through intermediary parties.

Last week’s Sunday Times had reported that the British government was seeking to meet with CIRA representatives, despite opposition from Dublin.

# dissident-republicans - Saturday 7 August, 2010

POLICE IN THE NORTH have arrested  a 42-year-old man in connection with the 200lb bomb which exploded outside a policy station in Derry on Tuesday morning.

The man was arrested in Derry today and taken to a police station in Antrim for questioning.

Two men were reported to have hijacked a taxi in the early hours of the morning, forcing the driver to take them to the PSNI station on Strand Road. They placed an explosive device in the vehicle before abandoning it.

Police claim that a telephone warning alerting them of the bomb was deliberately mistimed to increase the likelihood of injury.  No one was hurt in the incident.

A dissident republican group called Oglaigh na hEireann claimed responsibility for the bombing.

Yesterday, Sinn Féin announced its intentions to meet with members of the Real IRA to discuss recent violence in the North.