This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Saturday 20 April, 2019
Advertisement

Second body recovered near sunken trawler off Cork coast

The Garda and Naval Service Diving Units continue their search this afternoon.

Gus Dempsey (left) and George Webb light candles at a memorial in Union Hall for the five missing men off the coast.
Gus Dempsey (left) and George Webb light candles at a memorial in Union Hall for the five missing men off the coast.
Image: Julien Behal/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Updated 1.32pm

DIVERS FROM THE Garda Diving Unit and the Naval Service have recovered two bodies near the wreck of the trawler which sank off the Cork coast on Sunday.

Earlier this morning, a spokesman for the Valencia Coast Guard told TheJournal.ie that the first body was found by a Garda dive team who were searching near the wreck at Adam’s Island at about 10am.

This afternoon, a second body was located by divers from the Naval Service unit at about 1pm.

The dive units have taken the bodies to shore and an identification process will begin.

The search for the other three missing fishermen continues. The Coast Guard has advised that the rescue teams are doing as much as they can while conditions remain favourable.

“The sea conditions will begin to worse as the day goes on and the swell is already increasing,” he said.

Earlier…

Dive teams and coast guard units resumed the search around the wreckage of a trawler carrying five men which sank off the coast of west Cork last weekend.

The search will resume this morning for the five fishermen who went missing after their trawler sunk off the coast of Union Hall on Sunday morning. One man survived the sinking of the Tit Bonhomme in the Glandore Bay area.

Efforts to recover the vessel have been hampered by weather conditions over the past few days but divers were reported to have made progress yesterday. However they have not yet entered the vessel.

A spokesman for Valentia Coast Guard told TheJournal.ie this morning: “The search will be recommencing again this morning. The weather is good this morning but there are gales forecast later today.

It’s not easy, it’s very difficult for the divers given the swell. When they don’t go in, they dont go in for a reason. It’s very dependent on the weather.

Though the divers did not get into the vessel yesterday they did carry out an extensive search of the surrounding area. Garda and naval dive teams as well as coast guard units, helicopters and the RNLI are taking part in the search.

The five missing men have been named as Michael Hayes, 52, Kevin Kershaw, 21, as well as Egyptian nationals Wael Mohammed, Saied Ali Eldin and Attia Shaban. Wael’s elder brother Abdou survived the disaster.

-Additional reporting by Sinéad O’Carroll

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Hugh O'Connell

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)