Skip to content
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
File photo
File photo
Image: Shutterstock

Dog saves family from house fire

Four people in Belfast were rescued thanks to their barking pet.
Aug 18th 2015, 5:25 PM 18,249 19

A BARKING DOG has saved a family from a fire in Belfast.

UTV reports that the dog woke up its family by barking when smoke started to engulf the house.

Four people were trapped upstairs in the house in the Campsie Park area of Dundonald when the fire started in the early hours of this morning.

Firefighters were alerted and made their way into the home to bring the family to safety.

Fire Service station commander Michael Harkin said the family escaped more serious injuries thanks to their dog.

He told the Belfast Telegraph: “In this case had the family dog not alerted them to the fire we could have been looking at something much worse.”

This would have been very frightening for the family with the smoke and the heat – particularly the smoke would have been very hot.

Harkin also stressed the importance of having a working smoke alarm in every house.

Originally published: 10.47am

Read: Elderly woman rescued from burning building in Dublin

Read: Blaze at army base in Co Down engulfs cars and garages

Send a tip to the author

Órla Ryan


    Back to top