Skip to content

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

File Photo - US Coast Guard
File Photo - US Coast Guard
Image: Rob Wilson via Shutterstock

Eight-year-old Irish boy dies in the US after getting trapped under boat

The family is returning to Ireland and the funeral will be held on Thursday morning.
Jul 31st 2017, 9:42 PM 33,517 3

AN EIGHT-YEAR-OLD Irish boy has died in the US after a boat he was on capsized last week.

Harry O’Connor passed away yesterday at Boston Children’s Hospital, where he was airlifted to after the incident in Massachusetts last Wednesday.

It’s understood that the eight-year-old from Clonmel, Tipperary was on a day trip on the Cape Cod Canal with his parents when the boat capsized.

Local media reported that O’Connor was trapped under the capsized boat for over 20 minutes.

Harry had moved to Sudbury, Boston with his parents Paudie O’Connor and Laura Lenehan and his siblings Ellen, Charlie and Joe.

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs said it is aware of this case and is providing consular assistance.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

The family is returning to Ireland and the funeral will be held on Thursday morning.

A spokesperson for St Mary’s Hurling Club in Clonmel told the Tipperary Nationalist that the tragedy “has shaken the entire community”.

Read: Appeal for information after sudden death of man in Carlow town>

Send a tip to the author

Cliodhna Russell

COMMENTS (3)

    Back to top