Skip to content
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change your settings or learn more here.
Image: Mark Stedman/

Gardaí praised for rescue of man from burning apartment overnight

The man was located on a couch in the apartment and pulled to safety.
Aug 28th 2017, 3:16 PM 14,424 8

THREE GARDAÍ HAVE been treated for smoke inhalation after they rescued an unconscious man from an apartment fire in Co Clare this morning.

The man, who was the sole occupant of the flat, was also treated at the scene.

The fire broke out at an apartment in the Kincora complex in Shannon at around 2.30am.

A neighbour raised the alarm and local gardaí arrived at the scene within minutes.

Gardaí had to force their way into the property to search for any occupants.

Members located an unresponsive man lying on a couch and pulled him to safety.

Two units of the fire brigade from Shannon town also responded to the incident and quickly set about tackling the blaze.

In the meantime, firefighters administered oxygen to the gardaí while they waited for an ambulance to arrive.

The gardaí were also assessed at the scene by paramedics but did not require hospitalisation.

The man they saved was also treated but declined to travel to hospital.

Superintendent Brendan McDonagh praised his officers for their efforts.

“I wish to commend the quick and professional response of our members from Shannon and the bravery they showed,” he said.

They no doubt saved this man’s life.

Read: ‘The problem is that these are institutions’: Family hubs for homeless compared to direct provision >

Read: Driver to be prosecuted for parking across two disabled bays in Cork >

Send a tip to the author

Pat Flynn


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a comment

    cancel reply
    Back to top