This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Thursday 13 December, 2018
Advertisement

Closure orders served on nine businesses by Food Safety Authority in October

Three businesses still have outstanding orders against them, the FSAI says.

Image: Brooke Becker via Shutterstock

THREE RESTAURANTS, TWO take-aways, a grocery, a pub, a bakery and a supermarket were all hit with closure orders by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) in October.

All but three have had the orders lifted since.

Those that are still under the orders are:

  • Beriozka, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford
  • Oriental Kitchen, Portmarnock, Co Dublin
  • The Village Take Away, Kill, Waterford

A Closure Order is served where it is deemed that there is or there is likely to be a grave and immediate danger to public health at or in the premises; or where an Improvement Order is not complied with.

They can be served immediately or can be served on a part of a company’s operation.

Those that have had orders lifted are:

  • Tom’s Bakery, Kinsale, Co Cork
  • Good World Restaurant, George’s Street, Dublin 2
  • The Parish Pump, New Ross, Co Wexford
  • Tasty Chinese Takeaway, Dromcollogher, Co Limerick
  • Turkuaz Turkishk, Washington Street, Cork
  • The bakery and deli of Eurospar, Skerries, Co Dublin

A prohibition order is still outstanding on Doyle’s Bar in Phibsborough, Dublin 7, while one was lifted on Gilligan’s Butcher Shop in Manorhamilton, Co Leitrim.

The FSAI also carried out a successful prosecution against Dillingers Restaurant in Ranelagh, Dublin 6. The restaurant was fined €100 and costs of €2,420 were awarded to the HSE.

The orders bring to 121 the number of issuances this year, something Professor Alan Reilly of the FSAI says is more than last year’s 109.

“There can be no excuse for putting consumers’ health at risk through negligent practices. The legal onus is on all food businesses to ensure that the food they serve is safe to eat. It is of particular importance over the coming weeks that food businesses properly prepare for the lead up to Christmas and ensure that they can cope safely with the increased volumes of food they may supply.”

Read: Seven businesses handed closure orders over food safety

Read: More elbow grease needed to improve food safety, says FSAI

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (27)