Advertisement
This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Thursday 13 December, 2018

#Food Safety

# food-safety - Thursday 7 June, 2012

Seven enforcement orders issued by Food Safety Authority in May

Meanwhile, the HSE prosecuted a Tesco Extra branch in Carton Park, Maynooth after customer complaints over chicken.

# food-safety - Monday 28 May, 2012

Warning about health risks after 1 tonne of meat stolen in Dublin

Consumers are being warned not to buy meat from unauthorised sources after around 1 tonne of beef – which could pose a health risk – was stolen from a Dublin warehouse.

# food-safety - Thursday 8 March, 2012

Six restaurants closed over food safety concerns in February

The amount of enforcement orders served in February was double that of January.

# food-safety - Tuesday 28 February, 2012

Live insects, a tooth and a dead rodent: found in food here last year

The FSAI says complaints to its advice line increased by 13 per cent last year.

# food-safety - Tuesday 20 December, 2011

Ivory Tower restaurant has closure order lifted

Chef Seamus O’Connell heartened by support for his Cork restaurant, including Twitter campaign: “I didn’t even know what Twitter was.”

# food-safety - Friday 16 December, 2011

Bottled water 'safer' - but industry still needs improvement

Microbiological tests of bottled water shows that standards have improved in the past number of years – however, two per cent of samples are still classed as “unsafe”.

# food-safety - Friday 9 December, 2011

High Court orders closure of Seamus O’Connell’s Cork restaurant

The owner of the high-profile Ivory Tower had been ignoring a closure order from the Food Safety Authority of Ireland – so the authority took him to court today.

# food-safety - Wednesday 7 December, 2011

The 5 at 5: Tuesday

5 minutes, 5 stories, 5 o’clock…

Seamus O'Connell's Ivory Tower in Cork closed by food safety unit

Restaurant described by New York Times as a destination for “inventive dishes” is served with closure order – as are five other Irish eateries in November.

# food-safety - Monday 14 November, 2011

Warning issued to Irish consumers over Lloyd Grossman korma sauce

Recall echoes that issued over the weekend in Britain after two cases of botulism were reportedly linked to a jar of the sauce in England.

# food-safety - Saturday 10 September, 2011

In focus: War of words over plan to ban ‘raw milk’

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland believes banning the sale of unpasteurised milk makes sense – but not everyone agrees.

# food-safety - Monday 13 June, 2011

German shortcomings in focus as E. coli outbreak wanes

Now that the deadly E. coli outbreak ravaging Germany seems to have waned, questions are being asked about the response to the crisis that killed 36 people and left thousands of others seriously ill.

# food-safety - Thursday 9 June, 2011

Less dangerous E. coli strain found in Dutch beet sprouts

Less dangerous E. coli strain found in Dutch beet sprouts

Authorities in the Netherlands have recalled red beet sprouts as a precautionary measure after discovering a strain of E.coli present in the vegetables. The strain is apparently less dangerous than the one causing Europe’s deadly E. coli crisis.

# food-safety - Wednesday 8 June, 2011

Germany optimistic about falling E.coli infections

Meanwhile, the search for the source of the contamination continues.

# food-safety - Tuesday 7 June, 2011

EU Commission proposes €150m fund for farmers affected by E.coli outbreak

Meanwhile, WHO expert says time is running out for investigators to determine the original source of the deadly outbreak.

# food-safety - Sunday 5 June, 2011

Death toll from E. coli outbreak rises to 22 as bean sprouts identified as likely cause

The new figures record a total of 21 deaths in Germany and one in Sweden with health officials saying that bean sprouts grown in Germany were the likely cause of the deadly outbreak.

German hospitals stretched to breaking point by E.coli outbreak

Germany’s health minister appeals to hospitals outside the North to begin admitting E.coli patients as more fall ill.

Aer Lingus strike ‘could save Ireland from E.coli outbreak’ – HSE

The Aer Lingus pilots’ strike on Tuesday and Wednesday will hit dozens of flights from Germany – enough to stop the spread?

# food-safety - Saturday 4 June, 2011

"No proof" that vegetables to blame for E.coli outbreak

An EU laboratory in Rome says there’s no reason to suspect that the new outbreak of E.coli has come from vegetables.

# food-safety - Thursday 2 June, 2011

Deadly E.coli outbreak caused by new strain, says WHO

The World Health Organisation has said preliminary tests suggest the wave of E.coli infection affecting Europeans has been caused by a new, mutant form of two different E. coli bacteria.

E.coli outbreak 'could last months'

The head of Germany’s public health body has admitted that that “we may never know” the true source of the contamination, which has now claimed 17 lives.

# food-safety - Wednesday 1 June, 2011

Spain considers action against Germany over cucumber scare

The Spanish agriculture sector has been plunged into turmoil, with €200 million being lost each week and thousands of workers laid off in a country already suffering the highest unemployment rate in the EU.

# food-safety - Tuesday 31 May, 2011

Death toll from E.coli outbreak rises to 14

European authorities have warned that the situation is likely to worsen, with 14 people dead in Germany and suspected cases of E.coli infection reported in Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, the Netherlands and the UK.

# food-safety - Monday 30 May, 2011

Food Safety Authority: E.coli contaminated food not on sale in Ireland

Food Safety Authority: E.coli contaminated food not on sale in Ireland

People in Germany have been advised not to eat raw cucumbers following a deadly outbreak of E.coli, however experts have said there is no indication contaminated foods are on sale in Ireland.

# food-safety - Friday 29 April, 2011

Milkybar chocolates recalled over rubber fears

Sad times for the Milkybar kid as his buttons are recalled due to fears that bits of rubber ended up in some packets.

# food-safety - Wednesday 6 April, 2011

Fukushima radiation now present in Irish milk samples

The Food Safety Authority confirms trace levels of iodine-131 in Irish milk samples, at levels that pose no threat to health.

# food-safety - Friday 4 March, 2011

D'you want flies with that? Irish eaters find 'foreign objects' in their food

Food Safety Authority reveals that insects and random objects were found in people’s meals in 2010.

# food-safety - Wednesday 23 February, 2011

Tesco says ready meal recall is "purely precautionary"

The supermarket recalls four different ready meals over fears of potential metal contamination in their mashed potato.

# food-safety - Tuesday 18 January, 2011

HSE warns Dublin restaurant over serving rare burgers

A restaurant which gives customers the choice to order burgers cooked rare or medium-rare has been told by the HSE that it must stop.

# food-safety - Wednesday 12 January, 2011

Man detained in relation to 2008 contaminated pork crisis

Man arrested in Monaghan while four others held in Northern Ireland in cross-border investigation.

# food-safety - Tuesday 30 November, 2010

'Unrealistic' use-by dates displayed by a quarter of butchers

Almost a quarter of butchers have been found to provide use-by date that are unrealistically long or have no basis.

# food-safety - Wednesday 15 September, 2010

Urban farmers blamed for salmonella outbreak

Keeping ducks in the shed seemed like a good idea at the time…

# food-safety - Thursday 12 August, 2010

THE CHINESE HEALTH MINISTRY has begun investigating claims that a certain powdered baby milk has caused three baby girls – one as young as four years old – to grow breasts.

The three girls, the eldest of which is 15 months old, were found to have as much estradiol – a major female sex hormone – in their bodies as an average adult woman, while they had three to seven times the usual level of lactogen, another hormone.

A panel of nine paediatric and food safety experts has been assembled to investigate the claims. The three girls are all believed to have been fed a powdered milk produced by Synutra International, which denies the claims.

The three girls all live within miles of the city of Wuhan,

Its CEO, Liang Zhang, told Bloomberg the company was ”completely confident that our products are safe and our quality levels are industry-leading.”

The multinational’s stock has, nonetheless, fallen by over 10% on the NASDAQ since the claims emerged.

One Chinese dairy association suggests the hormones may have entered the food chain at farm level; China, unlike most western countries, does not regulate the use of growth hormones in producing livestock.

It is believed the cows may have been (legally) fed the hormones and that their milk was thus laced with the same chemicals. This milk would then have been used in the production of the powdered products.

Another of Synutra’s suppliers, a New Zealand company called Fonterra, said it did not use hormonal growth stimulants in its cattle. Synutra also sources produce from France and from the Chinese provence of Heilongjiang in the north-west of the country.

The health ministry has invited consumers to send any food they feel could have quality problems to local inspection agencies where it can be tested.

# food-safety - Monday 9 August, 2010

A RECORD 13 food outlets were served with closure orders in July, including four food stalls in Dun Laoghaire and one at the Oxegen festival.

The orders were issued by HSE environmental health officers. The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said that the same problems were consistently appearing at premises which failed to meet food hygiene standards.

“Dirty premises, unhygienic practices and improper storage of food simply will not be tolerated,” said Prof Alan Reilly, FSAI.

Here’s the full list of premises and stalls ordered to stop serving food:

  • Hadi Indian take-away, Main Street, Ballaghaderreen, Roscommon
  • Cherry Blossom Take Away & Restaurant, Unit 4, Watson & Johnson Centre, Church Road, Greystones, Wicklow
  • Punjab Balti food stall, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
  • A Taste of India food stall, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
  • Food stall occupied by Keziah Mabunde, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
  • Habesha Food Company food stall, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
  • Keenans Butchers and Deli (Part of premises), Lanesboro Road, Roscommon
  • Saagar Restaurant, 16 Harcourt Street, Dublin 2
  • Rong Xing Supermarket, 157 Parnell Street, Dublin 1
  • Patrick Ivory pub (kitchen only), 61 Castle Street, Dalkey, Co. Dublin
  • Liada Bakery Limited, Trading as Merkurius D, Unit 2, Quinnspares, Durrow, Offaly
  • Chinese Fast Food food stall, Main Stage, Arena 2, Oxegen Festival 2010, Punchestown, Naas, Kildare
  • Hanlin Restaurant, 154 Parnell Street, Dublin 1

Outlets are permitted to begin selling and serving food again once inspectors decide they have corrected any issues behind a closure order and are meeting food safety standards.

1 2 3 4 5