Skip to content

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Gerry Ryan took cocaine laced with worming powder: autopsy

The report shows he was taking a number of prescription drugs at the time of his death.
Jan 6th 2011, 8:43 AM 25,294 0

THE AUTOPSY REPORT on broadcaster Gerry Ryan shows that traces of the veterinary drugs Levamisole, which is used to treat parasitic worm infections in cattle and sheep, were found in his system at the time of his death.

The worming powder was probably used to cut the cocaine he had taken on the night of his death, although the report shows that just 0.05 micrograms of cocaine per millilitre of blood were found in his system. This suggests he had taken the drug some hours before his death, the Irish Daily Star reports.

The autopsy report, which was obtained by the newspaper’s Patrick O’Connell, also shows that the broadcaster was taking a number of prescription drugs at the time of his death, including cyclizine to treat nausea and vomiting;  zolpidem, a sleeping tablet; and alprazolam, a drug used to treat stress and anxiety.

In his deposition to the coroner’s court, Ryan’s doctor told how, eight days before his death, the 2fm broadcaster came to him suffering from severe stress and anxiety, due to a number of sources.

Gerry Ryan’s wife Morah and son Rex leaving the inquest into his death at Dublin Coroner’s Court.

The newspaper also runs details of the deposition of Ryan’s taxi driver, who was the last person to see him alive.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Alan Wilton stated that the broadcaster was in “good form”, but that he didn’t have enough cash to pay for his taxi fare.

I could tell he had a few drinks taken but I wouldn’t say he was drunk or in a bad way. I pulled up outside his house and he went inside so he could get the cash to pay me…then he said good night and thanks to me and went into his house.

For more information read this story in the print edition of today’s Irish Daily Star

Send a tip to the author

Jennifer O'Connell


    Back to top