Skip to content
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Image: Associated Press

Dozens of journalists crowd into home of San Bernardino suspects

Television and radio journalists – including reporters from the BBC, MSNBC and CNN – toured around the home of the suspected shooters.
Dec 4th 2015, 10:22 PM 15,441 43

JOURNALISTS TOURED THROUGH the home today of the couple suspected of carrying out the San Bernardino shootings.

27-year-old Tashfeen Malik and her husband, 28-year-old Syed Rizwan Farook, were killed in a shoot-out with police in the wake of a shooting which left 14 people dead on Wednesday.

In a bizarre scene, the landlord of the townhouse in which the couple stayed prior to the shootings let dozens of reporters into the building to film what was inside.

Television and radio journalists, including reporters from the BBC, MSNBC, and CNN, toured around the home of the suspected shooters.

The New York Times reports that journalists rifled through the suspects’ belongings, including documents, driver’s licenses, and photographs.

Baby formula, a Quran and other personal belongings were also shown.

Police had finished up with the scene yesterday, where they said that they found a massive arsenal of weapons.

The flood

Doyle Miller, the owner of the townhouse, went this morning see what damage had been caused by police. When journalists at the building asked to see inside, he let them.

One man pried a piece of plywood off the front door and scores of people rushed into the building.

“That just opened the flood,” Miller’s wife said in an interview. “It got way out of hand.”

MSNBC and CNN both issued statements saying that the landlord had let them into the building.

MSNBC said that they regretted showing some things inside the house:

We regret that we briefly showed images of photographs and identification cards that should not have been aired without review.

The rush into the house has caused quite a stir on social media, with a number of people condemning the actions of the reporters:

The news comes as the FBI confirmed that it was officially investigating the mass shooting as an act of terrorism.

Read: US officials say San Bernardino gunman had been in contact with terror suspects >

Send a tip to the author

Cormac Fitzgerald

COMMENTS (43)

    Back to top