We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

John Sheahan, Cathaoirleach, Warren Greenaway, Maxi Zoo and The Mayor Kathleen Leddin assist with The ‘Stop Limerick Dog Litter’ campaign. Sean Curtin
Dog Poo

Free pooper-scoopers offered to tackle dog poo in Limerick

In a bid to stop dog poo littering the streets of Limerick, Limerick City and County Councils have enlisted the help of a local business.

A PET SHOP is to offer the people of Limerick 100 free long-handled pooper-scoopers as part of an effort to fight dog mess in the city and county.

The Stop Limerick Dog Litter campaign is a new initiative launched by Limerick City & County Councils.

It has already received the backing of the Maxi Zoo pet store on the Ballysimon Road who have donated 100 long-handled pooper-scoopers valued at €3,000 to help local Tidy Towns volunteers clean up areas.

According to Mayor of Limerick Kathleen Leddin, the issue needs to be tackled across Limerick.

“The Council’s Environment Section is trying to get the message across that allowing dogs to foul in a public area and then not picking it up is simply unacceptable. I would like to thank Maxi Zoo for coming on board to support Tidy Towns groups and helping to remove dog litter from our streets and green areas.”

Cathaoirleach of Limerick County Council, Cllr. John Sheehan added: ‘TidyTowns groups carry out regular community cleanups and I want to commend them for this. These long-handled pooper scoopers will assist them to deal with dog litter that careless dog owners have chosen not to pick up.”

Dog litter causes a significant threat to human health through Toxocariasis, an infection caused by roundworm which lives in the intestines of dogs. This disease can occur when someone accidentally ingests small particles of contaminated soil. Symptoms include abdominal pain, cough, and headache and in extreme cases can result in permanent vision loss.

Read: Welsh Police apologise after naming dog poo talks “Operation Irish”

VIDEO: Don’t let your dog poo on streets, say wheelchair users

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.