Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Security personnel at the Olympic Games in London. Jeff Roberson/AP/Press Association Images
Oops

London 2012: police lose keys to Olympic venue

Scotland Yard insists there is no security issues surrounding the latest Olympics-related gaffe.

LONDON POLICE lost a set of keys at an Olympic venue last week – but security was not compromised by the incident, officials said yesterday.

Officers securing Wembley Stadium, an Olympic soccer venue in west London, reported on Tuesday that a set of internal keys used on searches at the venue were missing, Scotland Yard said.

The force said that detectives failed to find the keys, but found no evidence of criminal offences – suggesting that police probably misplaced the keys.

“There is absolutely no security concern in relation to the stadium as measures were taken immediately to secure all key areas of the venue,” police said in a statement.

Organisers of the London Olympics stressed that relevant locks have been changed and there was no security breach. Police declined to provide more details about what the keys were for.

Wembley is one of six stadiums hosting the men’s and women’s soccer tournaments during the games. The first soccer events began on Wednesday, ahead of the opening ceremony.

The key incident appeared harmless, but it was embarrassing for officials who are already on edge defending security arrangements for the London Games.

Just days before the games opened on Friday, Britain’s government had to deploy thousands more servicemen to protect Olympic venues after private security contractor G4S admitted it could not hire enough security guards for the event.

Some of the servicemen called in on short notice have seen their leaves cancelled, while others have only recently returned from tours in Afghanistan.

The chief executive of G4S, Nick Buckles, apologised and said the fiasco was a national embarrassment.

Earlier: Video, photos: the first controversy of London 2012 Olympics >

Explainer: Why are there four Olympic athletes with no country? >

30 facts you (probably) didn’t know about the Olympics >

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Author
Associated Foreign Press
Your Voice
Readers Comments
6
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.