#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Friday 28 January 2022

Luxury goods giant buys majority stake in NUDE

It’s a beautiful day for the company, which is co-owned by Ali Hewson and specialises in skincare products.

Ali Hewson, co-owner of skincare brand NUDE, which has been bought into by luxury good conglomerate LVMH
Ali Hewson, co-owner of skincare brand NUDE, which has been bought into by luxury good conglomerate LVMH
Image: Suzan/Suzan/EMPICS Entertainment via PA images

NATURAL SKINCARE COMPANY NUDE, which is co-owned by Ali Hewson, is being partially bought into by LVMH, the world’s largest luxury good conglomerate.

LVMH have bought a 70% controlling stake in the company. The remaining 30% will be retained by Ali Hewson, co-founder Bryan Meehan, and Irish businessman Paddy McKillen.

NUDE was founded by Bryan Meehan, who also started the Fresh&Wild natural health food stores in London. He is no stranger to getting involved with bigger companies as Wholefoods bought Fresh&Wild for £27.6m in 2004.

Meehan brought Ali Hewson – who is married to U2 frontman Bono – on board to help create NUDE’s products. Ali is well known for her interest in eco-friendly and natural fashion and runs the company Edun with her husband.

Bryan commented:

The partnership with LVMH will allow us to achieve so much more for Natural Skincare than we ever could alone.  Their resources and knowledge will be incredible assets for us and my team can’t wait to get started.

This isn’t Ali’s first time doing business with LVMH – the giant bought a minority stake in Edun two years ago. Last year, Ali and Bono appeared in a Louis Vuitton Core Values campaign ad, wearing clothes from their Edun line.

LVMH has more than 50 luxury brands, including Louis Vuitton, Dior perfumes and cosmetics, and Tag Heuer.

NUDE was started five years ago and specialises in luxury skincare products that contain ‘bio available technologies’ and probiotics. These  include moisturisers, cleansers, serums and other anti-ageing products.

Read next: