Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

claudia lawrence

Man arrested on suspicion of murdering woman who went missing in 2009

Police said that she has not been found.

A MAN HAS been arrested on suspicion of the murder of chef Claudia Lawrence.

She went missing in 2009.

The search for Claudia has been ongoing ever since, and today the North Yorkshire Police said that a man had been arrested on suspicion of her murder.

They stressed that she has not been found.

Missing chef Claudia Lawrence PA Archive / Press Association Images PA Archive / Press Association Images / Press Association Images

The man, who is in his 50s and from the York area, was arrested today.

Police said that searches are being conducted and are expected to be ongoing over a number of days.

Claudia’s family have been notified about the arrest, and police said that they are being supported by trained officers.

They urged the public and the media against identifying the man who has been arrested, in order “to ensure the investigation and legal process are not compromised or potentially damaged in any way”.

A 60-year-old man was arrested in May 2014 on suspicion of murder; a 47-year-old man was arrested last July on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

Claudia was last seen on Wednesday 18 March 2009, and was reported missing by her father (pictured below) on Friday 20 March. The alarm was raised when she failed to turn up for work at 6am at York University.

Missing chef Video still of the father of missing chef Claudia Lawrence, Peter Lawrence at a press conference PA Archive / Press Association Images PA Archive / Press Association Images / Press Association Images

On the sixth anniversary of her death, police had reiterated their appeal for information on her whereabouts.

Claudia’s 41st birthday was on 27 February.

In February, police examined the alleyway to the rear of Claudia’s house on Heworth Road in York. House-to-house enquiries were also carried out.

Detective Superintendent Dai Malyn, head of North Yorkshire Police’s Major Crime Unit and the senior investigating officer in the Claudia Lawrence case, said at the time:

We still don’t know if Claudia left for work on the morning of Thursday 19th March 2009 or whether something happened overnight within her house. If the latter is the case the person or persons responsible, in my view, would have used the rear alleyway as the front door leads onto a busy main road. This is why this specific piece of information needs to be fully investigated.

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
2
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.