Skip to content
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Sheila (left) and Katherine Lyon
Sheila (left) and Katherine Lyon
Image: AP

These Maryland sisters disappeared 40 years ago. Now, a man's been charged.

Sheila and Katherine Lyon disappeared from a Maryland shopping mall in 1975 and were never seen again.
Jul 15th 2015, 6:58 PM 34,556 5

AUTHORITIES TODAY ANNOUNCED first-degree murder charges against an imprisoned sex offender in the case of the disappearance of two sisters from a suburban Maryland mall in 1975, bringing some clarity to the baffling case that made parents question whether to allow children out of their homes alone.

12-year-old Sheila Lyon and 10-year-old Katherine Lyon walked from their house to the Wheaton Plaza Mall in March 1975. They never came home. No bodies were found.

After decades of investigating leads and periodically identifying suspects, officials say they now know who was responsible: Lloyd Lee Michael Welch Jr., 58, a child sex offender serving a lengthy prison term in Delaware.

He was indicted on the two first-degree felony murder charges by a grand jury on Friday, officials said. The indictment initially was sealed.

“We know what Katherine and Sheila were like. These were wonderful, wonderful, naive, young children,” said John McCarthy, the state’s attorney for Montgomery County, Maryland.

At the time of the girls’ disappearance, Welch was an 18-year-old carnival worker and drifter who had been spending time in the Wheaton area. Authorities have established that he was at the mall the day the girls vanished and was seen paying attention to them.

Since last year, authorities have been searching a mountain in Bedford County, Virginia, about 200 miles from Wheaton, for their remains. The grand jury in that county handed down the indictment, and county Sheriff Mike Brown announced the charges on Wednesday.

If convicted, Welch could face 20 years to life in prison or could be put to death, said Randy Krantz, commonwealth’s attorney in Bedford County. He declined to elaborate.

Lloyd Welch had previously been named as a person of interest along with his uncle, 70-year-old Richard Welch. Richard Welch’s wife, Patricia, was charged with perjury after testifying before the grand jury in December.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Lloyd Welch denied involvement in the girls’ disappearance in a letter to The Washington Post. Richard Welch, who lives in Maryland, has declined to comment.

According to police affidavits obtained by The Post, Lloyd Welch told investigators that he left the mall with the two girls and that he saw his uncle sexually assaulting one of them at his home the next day. Lloyd Welch told investigators he left the home and never saw the girls again, according to the affidavits.

The Post also reported that Welch asked a relative in rural Virginia to wash bloody clothes that he was carrying in a duffel bag, according to a search warrant affidavit. Welch told the relative that the blood was from raw hamburger, but investigators believe that it could link him to the Lyon sisters’ presumed deaths, The Post reported, citing the affidavit.

Officials stressed today that the investigation remains active.

Read: Nick Cave’s son has died after falling from a cliff

Read: “Someone I could say nothing but nice things about” – Galway village devastated by death of local GAA star in Croatia

Send a tip to the author

Associated Press


    Back to top