This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Thursday 5 December, 2019
Advertisement

Michaela McAreavey case is not closed, says prosecutor

The Director of Public Prosecutions in Mauritius has said the investigation continues, in advance of his meeting with Michaela’s husband next Monday.

Michaela Harte found dead John and Michaela McAreavey, pictured on their wedding day in 2011 Source: PA Archive/PA Images

THE CHIEF PUBLIC prosecutor of Mauritius has said that the murder case of Michaela McAreavey is not closed.

Speaking to the BBC, the island nation’s Director of Public Prosecutions Satyajit Boolell stated firmly that the now six-year investigation into the Co Tyrone woman’s 2011 murder remains very much open.

27-year-old Michaela, the daughter of Tyrone GAA manager Mickey Harte, was killed in her hotel room at the four-star Mauritian Legends resort in January of that year, just 12 days after her marriage in Tyrone to John McAreavey.

Speaking last week, John McAreavey announced his plans to travel to Mauritius once more in order to try and re-ignite the investigation into Michaela’s death.

He said that he feels that authorities are not doing enough and that Michaela’s killers may never be brought to justice.

Boolell, who is due to meet McAreavey, his sister Claire, and Michaela’s brother Mark, later today, said that “we can’t say this case is closed”.

“We want want to find out who the culprits are.”

boolell Satyajit Boolell Source: Screengrab: BBC

Those who have taken the life of this young woman will have somehow to face justice. We are as determined, we are as concerned, as he (McAreavey) is.

“Any crime on our territory is a blot on our peaceful reputation,” he added.

Two hotel workers were charged with Michaela’s murder but both were acquitted following a subsequent trial by jury.

Since the acquittal of the two hotel workers, there has been a number of developments in the case. Laws have changed in Mauritius which would allow retrials for the men if “compelling” new evidence comes to light. Some of the exhibits of evidence have also been sent to specialist a DNA testing facility in France.

Read: When is Enda going? Coveney says leadership battle to kick off before the summer

Read: What happens to the 12 men and two women found in a truck in Rosslare?

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (22)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel