This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 3 °C Thursday 27 February, 2020
Advertisement

No bodies found in Christchurch cathedral wreckage, rescuers say

It was one of the highest-profile casualties of the earthquake – but as the rubble is cleared, there are no bodies to find.

The cathedral in Christchurch, pictured (left) before and (right) after last month's earthquake.
The cathedral in Christchurch, pictured (left) before and (right) after last month's earthquake.
Image: AP

SEARCHERS HAVE AGREED that nobody died in the rubble of Christchurch’s well-known cathedral — a rare piece of good news in the final days of a grim recovery operation following an earthquake that devastated New Zealand’s second-largest city and killed at least 165 people.

Authorities had feared that as many as 22 people were inside the Christchurch Cathedral’s stone bell tower when it was toppled by a magnitude 6.3 quake on February 22.

Police Supt Sandra Manderson said urban search and rescue teams had completed their excavation of the area and confirmed that no one was trapped inside what had been a popular tourist attraction.

“Urban search and rescue (teams) have cleared the whole area … and they’ve found no bodies,” she told National Radio.

Manderson said she hoped that the surprise good news would bring down the estimated death toll of the disaster from as high as 240 to around 220. She said she was investigating what the estimate of 22 people in the tower had been based on.

She also announced that the confirmed death toll had risen to 165 after two bodies were recovered Friday from one of the worst-hit structures, the Canterbury Television building.

Beck said that from the time the earthquake devastated Christchurch’s city center on a busy weekday afternoon, he suspected that there would be multiple casualties under the ruins of the 130-year-old Anglican tower.

“Straight after the quake, a young woman was in tears and I gave her a big hug. She was telling me that she had just rushed out of the tower just before the quake and there were people behind her,” Beck said Saturday.

“Then you get other anecdotal stories from people saying they saw people in the viewing platform [of the tower], so that is the kind of stuff that was going around,” he said.

Authorities officially ended the search and rescue phase of the recovery operation in Christchurch on Thursday, saying there was no chance that anyone else would be pulled alive from the debris of the quake that demolished or irreparably damaged one-third of the buildings in the city center. Police have said the search for bodies will not continue much longer, with some victims likely pulverized beyond recovery.

Police on Saturday released the names of six more victims whose identities were confirmed among the dead, including one foreigner, a South Korean.

Just 26 of the 165 bodies have been publicly identified. Authorities say the identification process is slow and painstaking because of the extreme nature of the injuries caused to some of those caught in collapsing buildings.

An estimated 70,000 Christchurch residents — one-fifth of the 350,000 population — have left the city since the quake, which cut power, water and sewage systems for large parts of the city. Most were expected to return as the city recovers. - AP

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Mary

Read next:

COMMENTS

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel