This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 16 °C Friday 7 August, 2020


# poisoning - Wednesday 13 May, 2020

Conservationists slam 'horrific and illegal' mass poisoning of buzzards in Co Cork

BirdWatch Ireland said that 23 dead buzzards were recovered near Timoleague last December.

# poisoning - Saturday 3 August, 2019

US announces new sanctions against Russia over Skripal poisoning

Russian spies have been blamed for the poisoning of Skripal and his daughter.

# poisoning - Thursday 9 May, 2019

Man (42) pleads guilty to attempting to poison his co-worker

The alleged offence occurred at a data management company at Springhill, Carrigtwohill.

# poisoning - Friday 26 October, 2018

'Extremely unusual' cat deaths spark warning about dangers of antifreeze

The survival rate for cats affected by antifreeze poisoning is less than 5%.

# poisoning - Wednesday 19 September, 2018

Man killed wife and daughter with yoga ball filled with carbon monoxide

The professor was accused of hatching the murder plot because he was having an affair with a student.

# poisoning - Thursday 13 September, 2018

Pussy Riot activist hospitalised after suspected poisoning

He staged a pitch invasion during the World Cup final in July.

# poisoning - Sunday 29 July, 2018

Precautions in place to protect mourners at funeral of nerve agent victim

Dawn Sturgess was exposed to Novichok in England.

# poisoning - Wednesday 23 May, 2018

Recovery from poisoning is 'slow and painful' - Yulia Skripal speaks

Yulia was discharged from a local hospital last month.

# poisoning - Tuesday 3 April, 2018

Russian ambassador on expulsion of Irish diplomat: 'Every action finds its counteraction'

Yury Filatov said he is still optimistic about Ireland’s future relationship with Russia.

# poisoning - Sunday 18 March, 2018

Chemical weapons experts heading to UK in Russia spy case

Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia are in a critical condition.

# poisoning - Saturday 10 March, 2018

More than 200 witnesses identified in probe into poisoning of Russian ex-spy in UK

One of the police officers who was injured in the attack has said today that he’s “no hero”.

# poisoning - Thursday 8 March, 2018

UK vows action over ex-spy poisoning as police confirm 21 people hurt Spy

UK vows action over ex-spy poisoning as police confirm 21 people hurt

The probe is now an attempted murder investigation.

# poisoning - Friday 16 June, 2017

Man jailed for injecting children after convincing them they had Chernobyl radiation poisoning

The 59-year-old duped teenagers and woman into believing he worked for the Ministry of Defence.

# poisoning - Friday 14 April, 2017

Here's why your dog shouldn't eat chocolate

Dogs Trust has released a warning to pet owners this Easter.

# poisoning - Wednesday 22 February, 2017

Heavily armed police guarding body of Kim Jong-Un's half-brother after attempted morgue break-in

Detectives probing the killing want to question a North Korean diplomat.

# poisoning - Wednesday 16 November, 2016

Surge in number of birds of prey being 'poisoned and persecuted'

A case where four people poisoned a number of birds of prey was found in West Waterford.

# poisoning - Saturday 30 January, 2016

A food poisoning expert on the six foods he never eats

Having spent over 20 years working on food poisoning lawsuits, lawyer Bill Marler simply doesn’t eat certain foods any more.

# poisoning - Wednesday 25 November, 2015

Woman tried to kill husband by spiking his Christmas Day wine with anti-freeze

Jacqueline Patrick tried to kill her husband three times, and even faked a “Do Not Resuscitate” note from him.

# poisoning - Tuesday 15 September, 2015

'I lost my boy to carbon monoxide poisoning - I don't want another family to go through this'

18 year old Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson succumbed to fumes while on a trip at a family member’s apartment in 2010.

# poisoning - Tuesday 3 March, 2015

Blogger jailed for poisoning her five-year-old son to death with salt

Lacey Spears blogged for years about her son’s health problems.

# poisoning - Saturday 7 February, 2015

Do not eat: Supermarkets warned to keep daffodils away from fruit and veg

The National Poisons Information Centre of Ireland said bulbs have been mistaken as onions in some cases.

# poisoning - Thursday 6 November, 2014

US scientist denies lacing his wife's energy drink with a lethal dose of cyanide

Autumn Klein fell suddenly ill and died three days later.

# poisoning - Friday 21 March, 2014

Advice issued on using registered gas fitters after installer jailed for manslaughter

Two teenagers died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a flat in Castlerock, County Derry in August 2010.

# poisoning - Wednesday 22 January, 2014

One person dies from a drug overdose every day in Ireland

New figures on drugs-related deaths in Ireland show that the number of people who have died from cocaine misuse has halved in four years.

# poisoning - Thursday 26 December, 2013

Indian gangster escapes from custody after 'poisoning his guards'

Vikram Paras, 27, carried out the daring escape as four armed officers were escorting him from the busy Old Delhi Railway Station in the capital early yesterday.

# poisoning - Monday 12 August, 2013

Column: I believe water fluoridation is harmful to my health, why should I pay for it?

With water charges due to be implemented, Aisling Fitzgibbon argues that if people are paying for water they should have more of a say about what’s in it.

# poisoning - Wednesday 24 July, 2013

India: School principal arrested over mass food poisoning that left 23 dead

The children, aged four to 12, fell ill within minutes of eating the lunch of lentils, potatoes and rice cooked at their primary school in a poverty-stricken village in Bihar state recently.

# poisoning - Friday 2 November, 2012

Russian spy case details may be made public

Litvinenko died in November 2006 after ingesting polonium-210, a rare radioactive isotope that was secretly slipped into his tea at a London hotel.

# poisoning - Wednesday 4 January, 2012

From The Daily Edge Police think poisoned cat meat killed Chinese tycoon Cat Meat

Police think poisoned cat meat killed Chinese tycoon

Another reason why you probably shouldn’t eat cats…

# poisoning - Thursday 15 December, 2011

Toxic homemade alcohol kills 102 in India

Four people have been arrested after bootleg liquor was blamed for the deaths and illness in Sangrampur, near Calcutta.

# poisoning - Tuesday 6 December, 2011

'Poisoned' Coca-Cola product linked to death of 11-year-old boy in China

The Pulpy Milky drink – which contained pesticides – was deliberately tampered with, Chinese police have said.

# poisoning - Monday 5 December, 2011

Almost 640 drug-related deaths in Ireland, latest figures show

Heroin-related deaths increased by 20 per cent in 2009, according to the Health Research Board National Drug-Related Deaths Index, but alcohol is still a major factor in deaths of drug users.

# poisoning - Sunday 24 July, 2011

From The Daily Edge Sitdown Sunday: 7 deadly reads Sitdown Sunday

Sitdown Sunday: 7 deadly reads

The very best of the week’s writing from around the globe.

# poisoning - Monday 13 June, 2011

Sixteen arrested in Jakarta over food poisoning terrorist plot

Police in Indonesia are calling the plot to poison police food with cyanide a “new model of terror attack”.

# poisoning - Monday 16 August, 2010

LESS THAN HALF of the 7,500 faulty gas cookers recalled by the National Consumer Agency last year have been returned.

Certain models of Beko, Flavel, Leisure and New World gas cookers with a separate oven and grill pose a carbon monoxide poisoning threat.

The risk of poisoning occurs when the grill is used but the grill door is left closed.

Call 1800 252 925 (Beko, Flavel, Leisure) or 1800 569 569 (New World) for more details or check this list. The NCA can be contacted on 1800 432 432.

# poisoning - Thursday 5 August, 2010

A FAULTY GAS appliance is believed to be linked to the deaths of two teenage boys in Derry on Tuesday night, according to investigators. The teenagers are suspected to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Friends Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson, both 18, died in an apartment in Castlerock, Co Derry.

A third boy found unconscious at the scene was successfully resuscitated. He is still recovering in hospital.

Davidson’s mother has spoken of her shock and sadness at discovering her son and his friend dead in the apartment. She told hte BBC that the four parents headed to the flat when they had not heard from the boys and thought something was wrong.

She said they had to force their way into the flat, and she knew immediately that her son was dead although attempts were made to resuscitate him and McFerran.

Carbon monoxide is produced by all flames and is extremely toxic. It can be fatal if the quantity of the gas is present in as little as 0.1% of a room’s air supply.