Skip to content
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change your settings or learn more here.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Broadcaster Stuart Hall arrives at Preston Magistrates Court today.
Broadcaster Stuart Hall arrives at Preston Magistrates Court today.
Image: Dave Thompson/PA Wire

Stuart Hall pleads not guilty to indecent assault of young girls

The 83-year-old former BBC presenter was charged in December after allegations were made to police.
Jan 7th 2013, 1:04 PM 7,689 0

VETERAN BBC BROADCASTER Stuart Hall pleaded not guilty to the sexual assault of three girls aged between nine and 17 dating back to the 1970s and 1980s when he appeared in court today.

The 83-year-old presenter of the 1970s hit TV show “It’s A Knockout” was charged in December after allegations were made to police.

Hall was asked by the clerk of the court at Preston Magistrates’ Court in northwest England if he understood that he faced three separate charges of indecent assault and if he wanted to enter a plea.

He replied: “Yes I do. Not guilty to all three charges.”

Joanne Cunliffe, for the prosecution, said the case should be sent to crown court because it was too serious to be dealt with at magistrates’ court.

Outlining the charges she said Hall is alleged to have fondled the breast of one girl, then aged 16 or 17, in 1974.

On a second occasion he is alleged to have molested a nine-year-old girl by touching in 1983 and the third alleged indecent assault is that he kissed a 13-year-old girl on the lips in 1984.

Hall was bailed until April 16 when he will appear at Preston Crown Court.

He has been a familiar face and voice in British broadcasting for half a century and was last year awarded an Order of the British Empire (OBE).

His eccentric and distinctive football match summaries have made him a cult figure on BBC radio.

The BBC has said Hall will not be working at the corporation while he faces the allegations.

Police have stressed that the charges against him are not part of the investigation into allegations of sexual abuse of children against the late BBC star Jimmy Savile.

- © AFP 2013.

Comments on this article have been disabled as court proceedings are ongoing.

Related: BBC commentator Stuart Hall charged with indecently assaulting children>
Read: Man arrested by police investigating Savile scandal>

Send a tip to the author

AFP

COMMENTS

    Back to top