This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 2 °C Sunday 17 November, 2019
Advertisement

Man stabbed at infamous 2012 Phoenix Park concert settles damages claim

Fan Niall Davey had lodged a €60,000 claim against a number of defendants, including concert promoter MCD Productions.

2013 Grammy Awards Arrivals Swedish House Mafia, pictured in 2013 Source: AP/Press Association Images

A FAN OF the band Swedish House Mafia, who was one of a number of people stabbed and beaten up at the group’s infamous concert in the Phoenix Park, Dublin, in 2012, has settled his €60,000 damages claim against the concert’s organisers.

Barrister Suzanne Walsh told Judge Jacqueline Linnane in the Circuit Civil Court today that Niall Davey’s personal injuries case had been settled and could be struck out with an order for his legal costs.

Davey, of Castleknock Drive, Castleknock, Dublin, had sued MCD Productions, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin; Swords Risk Services Limited, Tuam Road, Galway; Eventsec Limited, Queen’s Way, Belfast; Michael N. Slattery & Associates Limited, Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin, and PBM Productions Limited, trading as Diffusion Events, Dun Laoghaire.

Pat Purcell, who appeared with Ms Walsh for Davey, told Circuit Court President, Mr Justice Raymond Groarke, at the call-over of cases that he wished to present a Garda Investigation Report on incidents at the concerts which ran over three days in July 2012.

New development

Paul O’Neill, counsel for all of the defendants, told the court he would have to take his clients’ instructions on this new development and the case was put back to be heard by Judge Linnane.

Ms Walsh, instructed by solicitors Hennessy and Perrozzi, later told Judge Linnane that as a result of inter-party talks the case had been settled. She did not disclose the amount of the settlement which was made jointly and severally against all defendants.

Davey had claimed that anti-social behaviour by a group of males, who kicked mud in people’s faces, went on for two hours at the 7 July 2012 concert before two security men tackled them. Subsequently the security men were forced to retreat.

A short time later he had been attacked by a member of this group and viciously assaulted, beaten and stabbed in the back. Several others had kicked and punched him about the head.

He had been treated at the emergency department of Blanchardstown Hospital where he had been x-rayed and his wounds explored, cleaned and stitched. His consultant specialist believed he had suffered concussion.

In a Circuit Criminal Court case involving an attack and stabbing of another fan at one of the concerts the judge heard that as a result of how the concert was managed and “poorly marshalled” event organisers met afterwards with the Garda Commissioner and protocols were put in place for the running of any future events in the park.

Read: Jury asks to see knife block and second knife in David Mahon murder trial

Read: Man whose father was heard to say “f**k it we’ll leave it” before he fled crash given suspended sentence

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Ray Managh

Read next:

COMMENTS (30)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel