This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Sunday 23 February, 2020
Advertisement

Family were 'extraordinary' to sit face-to-face with men who carried out terrifying raid

Kieran Cleary said no offer of compensation has been made to help the Corcoran family with medical bills.

Outside the court yesterday
Outside the court yesterday
Image: Screengrab/RTÉ News

THE SOLICITOR WHO represented the Tipperary family who were the victims of a terrifying raid on their home two years ago has said the men responsible have shown no remorse.

Yesterday, sentences of up to 20 years (with four suspended) were handed down to a gang of seven men who carried out the raid on the Corcoran family in Burnchurch, Co Tipperary in November 2013.

Solicitor Kieran Cleary told Newstalk Breakfast the family had to pay all their own medical and counselling bills following the incident.

“There wasn’t a single euro suggested in compensation, nothing, not one offer of €100 … Repent is one word but compensation is far, far better,” Cleary said.

He said the men had no option but to plead guilty thanks to the “brilliant” work done by gardaí investigating the case.

Cleary said Judge Tom Teehan was “magnificent” and praised him for handing down tough sentences.

The solicitor said Mark and Emma Corcoran and their three young daughters are doing as well as they can be but it has been “a long hard road”.

‘Extraordinary family’

Cleary said Mark and Emma were “extraordinary” to be able to sit in the same courtroom as “the people who attacked them”.

He said they had great family and community support, with neighbours in the area where the raid occurred operating a text alert system.

“They’re farming people and farming people look after each other,” Cleary added.

Earlier this week Clonmel Circuit Court heard that Mark suffered a fractured eye-socket when he was struck on the face with a gun. He has had four major operations as a result.

Emma was forcibly removed from her bedroom, the two older daughters witnessed the event from the family’s hallway and the youngest daughter who was two at the time was found rocking herself and her teddy in her cot.

The seven men sentenced are all in their 20s and from north Dublin. They had 315 previous convictions.

A full list of the sentences received, ranging from five to 16 years, can be read here.

Background: Gang who put family through terrifying home raid ordeal had 315 previous convictions

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (45)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel