This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Tuesday 26 March, 2019
Advertisement

Woman charged over death of toddler Hassan Khan

The two-year-old was found dead in an apartment in south Dublin yesterday.

Image: Garda Press Office

Updated at 10.48pm

A WOMAN IN her 40s is due to appear before court tomorrow charged in relation to the death of two-year-old Hassan Khan.

The toddler was found dead at an apartment in south Dublin yesterday.

His body was removed from the scene and taken to Tallaght Hospital for a post-mortem examination. It is understood the child died from stab wounds.

The woman was arrested at the apartment yesterday afternoon, after gardaí received a phone-call. She was held at Dun Laoghaire Garda Station for questioning.

She will now appear before Dublin District Court tomorrow at 10.30am.

A murder inquiry is underway.

Earlier today, the head of Tusla, which is the State’s child and family agency, said that his staff will work closely with gardaí in the investigation.

Gardaí were trying to locate the boy’s father, Saleem Khan, in the hours after the discovery of the child’s body, to inform him of his son’s death.

He was located last night, and a Garda spokesperson confirmed all family members had now been notified.

Source: Daragh Brophy/TheJournal.ie

Child Rescue Alert

The young boy was the subject of a nationwide appeal, after a Child Rescue Ireland (CRI) alert was issued for him this summer.

He was found later that day, safe and well.

Such alerts are only ever initiated when there is a reasonable belief that there is an immediate and serious risk to the health and welfare of a child.

They result in messages being displayed on digital motorway signage, and in train and ferry stations. Every media outlet in the country is also informed, and images of the child are sent out.

The system was launched in May of 2012, and is used sparingly by gardaí.

Source: Daragh Brophy/TheJournal.ie

Apartment

The toddler lived at the first floor apartment with his mother, who is from the local area.

Speaking last night, a female relative said it was a “terrible tragedy”.

Several locals left flowers outside the apartment complex, as garda experts continued tests at the scene inside.

Neighbour Margaret Willis told TheJournal.ie that she “had to come up” to pay her respects.

“God help the little angel,” she said.

Other neighbours expressed shock at the incident, and said the area was normally very quiet and settled.

Tusla

The family had contact with the Child and Family Agency, Tusla, recently.

Chief Executive of the agency  Gordon Jeyes released a statement on the incident this morning.

It said:

“Following the death of a child, particularly in circumstances as tragic as the death of little Hassan, it is important that we all take the time to mourn a life not lived.

“In the period immediately following Hassan’s death the focus for Tusla will be on supporting those who knew and worked with the little boy and his family.

In due course, the Child and Family Agency will work with any investigating body to provide all information available both in terms of any supports offered previously to the child and his family and any information which may cast light on why this tragic death took place.

Source: Niall Carson ... Deputy State Pathologist Dr. Michael Curtis (left) at the scene

Post-mortem

The child’s body was taken from the scene last evening, and Dr Michael Curtis, the Deputy State Pathologist, is conducting a post-mortem at Tallaght Hospital this morning.

The woman arrested yesterday was know to the child and his father.

Gardaí are expected to hold a further media appeal later this afternoon, following the conclusion of the post-mortem.

Read: Athlone incident reminds us to be vigilant when it comes to child safety

Read: 147 new cases of suspected child abductions reported in 2012

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS