We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

File photo of the area Google Streetview

Suicidal man calls Dublin radio station

Identifying himself as Jay, the man threatened to jump off a bridge at Loughlinstown.

A DUBLIN RADIO station has broadcast a live call with a man threatening to jump from a bridge in Loughlinstown this evening.

The FM104 Phoneshow took a call this evening from a man who identified himself as Jay. The caller told the presenter he had a knife.

Members of An Garda Síochána and the man’s parents were at the scene.

Gardaí confirmed to that there is a live policing operation taking place at Loughlinstown since about 9.50pm. A spokesperson from the Press Office said no further details are currently available.

AA Roadwatch have said the N11/Stillorgan Rd is closed outbound at Loughlinstown due to an incident.

During the course of the call, Jay talked to the presenter about his psychosis and the treatment he had received.

He became angry on a number of occasions and warned Gardaí to stay off the bridge.

The presenter, Jeremy Dixon, made it clear that the call was “sprung on him”.

Answering a number of queries about why the radio station continued to broadcast the call, he said there was “no other way to deal with it”.

“I dealt with it the way I thought was appropriate.

“He wanted to talk to FM104. He didn’t ring anybody else, he didn’t ring his family, he rang FM104…When someone rings and they feel as desperate and that, there is only one thing to do and that is to talk to them…Hopefully it has worked.”

He added, “I would have preferred that conversation to happen off the air. Physically it was not possible for it to happen off air.”


At 11.35pm, Gardaí were still on the scene and no injuries were reported.


Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.