This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 8 °C Tuesday 23 October, 2018
Advertisement

UK care home with ‘overpowering smell’ of urine shut down after inspection

Elderly residents were removed from the care home last night due to the immediate closure.

Image: Shutterstock/Robert Kneschke

ELDERLY RESIDENTS HAVE been removed from a care home in the UK after an inspection report found that the residents were “at a significant risk”.

The care home, Merok Park Nursing Home in Banstead in Surrey, had been inspected in January of this year and was found to be compliant and safe.

Smell of urine 

However, a more recent report found that people were being washed in cold water, were in inappropriate beds and that there was an “overpowering smell” of urine in the home.

The report also found that staff that worked there were not given criminal record checks.

Sky News reports that a total of 21 residents were moved at 7pm at night after the the Care Quality Commission (CQC) made a snap decision to close the home.

In a statement the Chief Exwecutive of the CQC said:

Taking any decision which caused people to leave their homes is always difficult at any time of year  - but it is our view, shared by other agencies, that this is no longer safe for people to remain… The level of concerns we had here were rare and robust action was needed.

Immediate closure

The immediate closure of this care home in the UK comes just as gardaí investigate the care of residents at the Áras Attracta care home in Mayo.

The RTÉ Investigations Unit’s Inside Bungalow 3 report last night into the treatment of people with intellectual disabilities at a Mayo care home made for disturbing viewing.

Speaking after the programme, Minister Kathleen Lynch said she refused to believe that Áras Attracta is the only care home where people are unsafe. “I think a lot of them are very good but I couldn’t give people reassurances on that,” she said.

If you missed the programme, here’s what happened.

Read: Did you miss the RTÉ care home exposé? Here’s what happened>

Read: Kathleen Lynch can’t give assurances people are safe in Irish care homes>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (7)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel