WHAT’S THE STORY?
1. An apology is expected to be given later to the families of two Roma children who were taken into State care last year while enquiries were carried out to establish their identities. The incidents occurred after this image of ‘Maria’ was shown internationally because authorities wanted to find out who her biological parents were.
2. Dame Street in Dublin’s city centre has been closed to traffic as emergency services respond to a man who has climbed a six-storey building. He remains perched dangerously on tip of the Ulster Bank property with hundreds of people watching from below.
3. A top European court has upheld France’s ban on women wearing full-face veils – such as the burqa and niqab – stating that they can infringe on others rights to live in a space of socialisation.
4. Retailers have expressed their dismay at a Supreme Court judgement which will mean that the rent for Bewley’s Café on Grafton Street will remain at “an oppressive” €1.5 million.
5. About 110,000 people have been sent letters by Revenue, warning them that the property tax will be deducted from their wages and pensions.
6. Roy Keane is set to be announced as the new assistant manager at Aston Villa, according to media reports this morning. Something else to add to the movie.
Source: Michael Donnelly V/Vimeo