WHAT’S THE STORY?
1. HORRIBLE to report that the ceasefire between Israeli forces and Hamas has collapsed within a few hours. Israel claims Hamas shot rockets and 27 were then killed by Israel shelling.
Source: Dusan Vranic/AP/Press Association Images
2. A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy was killed when he was hit by a van in Tipperary town late yesterday evening. That’s 24 pedestrians killed on our roads so far this year.
Source: tealights via Shutterstock
3. CUSTOMER of two major Irish banks are not impressed this morning. Bank of Ireland customers who didn’t have their salaries paid into their accounts as expected this morning are being told they will get paid today, but maybe not all at once. Ulster Bank was having issues with its mobile banking service.
4. THERE has never been a better day to slow the hell down. Speeding drivers face extra penalty points from today.
5. THERE were over 100 incidents of racism in Ireland reported to the European Network Against Racism in the first three months of this year alone. Young black African men were the most frequent targets of such racist abuse.
Source: iReport 2014 via EnarIreland.org
6. LEITRIM Council has passed an emergency motion to stop a mining firm from drilling in Belcoo, Co Fermanagh – protestors claim this is the first step to full-on fracking in the area.