This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 20 °C Friday 25 May, 2018
Advertisement

Outbreak of vomiting and diarrhoea among security staff at the Winter Olympics

The military has stepped in as 41 hospitalised with norovirus.

Image: Imago/PA Images

HUNDREDS OF SOLDIERS have been drafted in to guard Pyeongchang Olympic venues after 1,200 security staff were withdrawn over an outbreak of a severe stomach virus.

Nine hundred military personnel were on duty after 41 security guards were hospitalised with norovirus following the sudden onset of vomiting and diarrhoea on Sunday.

Officials said they were unaware of the source of the virus, which is highly contagious and can also be spread through food or water contamination.

The 41 who fell ill at the weekend were transferred to hospital and most were diagnosed with a norovirus infection.

“The 1,200-odd people were pulled out from their duties,” an official of the Pyeongchang Olympic Organising Committee told AFP.

They were replaced by some 900 military soldiers.

The security guards, all employees of a security company, had been staying together at a youth training centre in Pyeongchang, separate from the main Olympic sites.

Christophe Dubi, the International Olympic Committee’s Deputy Olympic Games Executive Director, said hand sanitisers had been placed at Games venues including the athletes’ village.

“A whole campaign of information and leaflets will be distributed to all populations about what to do if you’re coughing or if you have symptoms,” he said.

As soon as a case is reported then all the area gets disinfected.

“Very stringent measures are in place when it comes to food and beverage… and the whole chain of security, quality of the food, they are definitely respecting all international standards,” he added.

© – AFP, 2018

Read: Nigerian women’s bobsled team become the first from Africa to ever qualify for Winter Olympics 

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (27)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel