A member of the Garda Public Order Unit, as pro-Israel and pro-Palestine groups gathered on O’Connell Street in Dublin earlier today (Niall Carson/PA Wire)
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#ABORTION Two doctors should make the decision on terminating a pregnancy if there is a risk to the life of the mother. That’s according to the report from the expert group on abortion, which has been seen by RTÉ. Meanwhile it emerged today that Praveen Halappanavar is not engaging with HIQA on its investigation into his wife Savita’s death in Galway in October.
#PROPERTY TAX Sinn Féin has criticised reports that there may be plans afoot at the Department of Social Protection to deduct property tax from social welfare payments.
#PALESTINE – ISRAEL There were some minor scuffles between pro-Palestine supporters and Gardaí during a counter demonstration on O’Connell street in Dublin today. Pro-Israel supporters also held a demonstration on the other side of the road. Meanwhile Turkey said that it has resumed contact with Israel to try to bring an end to the hostilities in Gaza.
#QUINN-ASTY Today we brought you everything you need to know about the Quinn saga, but were afraid to ask…
#FIRE A fire in a Bangladesh garment factory killed at least 117 people when it broke out late last night. The factory made clothes for foreign clients including Tesco, H&M and Marks and Spencer, according to CNN.
THINGS WE LOVED
- This guy was diagnosed with a brain tumour, so he put his medical records online and asked the internet hive mind to help him find a cure.
- There were some fair attempts in today’s caption competition, where were asked you to wax lyrical on this picture of George Hook:
Here are some of our favourites: “You’re pregnant” (Johnny Downes) …. “Your prostate feels fine” (JumpTheCat)… ”Don’t Cry for me Argentina” (Pat Ambrose)
- This dog in a jumper on O’Connell Street today as part of an attempt to set a world record for the most Christmas geansaís in one place. We fear that the weather may have hampered the attempt, but this guy was definitely in the festive spirit:
THINGS WE SHARED
- Did you try our secondary school history quiz today? Do you know your vikings from your victories?
- During the week the Pope revealed that there were no animals present in the stable at the birth of Jesus. What does this mean for all of our Christmas traditions?
- How do you get your cat inside? You get the dog to do it of course: